Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: How much should i charge?

I have created a solution for my girlfriends company. I have spent in total around 16 hours developing it. There is a fair bit of VBA behind it for what it is and it will do exactly what they want it to do which is keep track of maintainance contract for all their sites. It comprises 1 report (at present), 9 forms, 4 modules and no queries (All queries written in code behind the forms in SQL). Do you think i should charge hourly or what? I am uncertain? If someone wants to see the program then let me know and i will post it on the web.

Interesting Problem

I think you would have to consider four issues:

1. Is there a comparable product that they could have used - if so how much.

2. If the product can be modified to generically cater for other businesses then a lower cost with more customers could be considered.

3. What is your local expectation of hourly rate for developer costs. For example if a programmer was employed and paid $50 per hour then because you are independent you would probably consider twice that as an hourly figure.

4. If an 'expert' was to develop the same product how long would it take him/her.

Thanks

I have taken into consideration these factor.

There isnt a comparable product on the market, it is really bespoe wht i have done. Company specific. Every program I have made is really designed for that company. Only thing is that in the past i have done it for other services and this time I cant, they sell cameras for quarry trucks, seeing as i dont have a quarry truck it is pretty useless to me!

I havnt a clue what people get paid to program round here? I am a network administrator and get paid a network admin wage else i could have used my wage as an example. Id say at a guess people get around 15 an hour $30 an hour.

Id feel like i was ripping them off charging $60 an hour though, seems a lot?

I think it would have taken a professional about 10 hours to do? Most of the time is taken designing the forms for me because i like them to look good for the user and easy to use aswell.

or if you wanted to do it slightly differently (not really adviseable, but you could do it this way). You could offer the application to the company and basically say "how much are you willing to pay me for this?"

Dont undersell yourself

I would suggest you need to accept... Charging $30 an hour might seem fair to you but remember, if they have a problem you are also going to be the first person they call.

I think $60 an hour for 16 hours seems reasonable based on values you supplied.

Alternatively consider an 'expert' charging $100 for 10 hours... either way I think working on that as a base would be fair.

Thank you

Thank you all for your imput, I didnt realise you could charge so much for this type of thing! Ive been doing programming for my works for years and dont even get close to that amount in my job?? Am i going wrong somewhere!?

Consulting tends to offer more money per job, but the rate of jobs is lower, usually.

Provided Answers: 1
    Is there going to be a service contract?

$60/hr may be a bit high considering the fact that you have to ask. If you're relatively inexperienced, I would say no more then $40/hr and figure out a contracted service agreement for maintence if necessary.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I have told them 20 an hour, roughly $40. And a fixes if anything goes wrong and 5 hours of additional coding if they need anything adding. I think that is fair?

If you are happy with the money and they accept, I'd say it's fair, yeah.

I am happy, if they accept! I never like asking for money though and I dont like quoting. Ive had to make programs for friends before and i have writen software for them that should have been around 2000 $3500 and only charged 100 $350. And i dont want to do that again because they ring me when things go wrong and it isnt worth the hassle so i think its time i started making some money from it!

I think that service agreement is going to bite you in the ass. Acquire a well defined, signed and dated hardcopy of the specific requirements they have for the product. At most, agree to fix any of the issues listed on that document for free. If they require anything beyond what you have designed, or forgot to ask for a necessary feature, then that's extra. IF you want to be a good sport and build some recognition, offer them five free hours of ADDITIONAL coding above and beyond what was in the original requirements list. Never, EVER say you will simply "fix" something for free. Only fix what was asked for. Otherwise you get into the horrific fiasco known as "variable scope".

Legally binding contracts, learn it, love it, live it.

The most important part of IT consulting has nothing to do with IT, we like to use another acronym for our priorities: CYA.

Thanks a lot, will get right onto making something out for them now. I will do 5 hours free because I am a good sport and they have promised me more work in the future so it's good to keep them sweet i think! Thanks again everyone! This isnt a full time job but the amout of coding and so on Ive been asked to do recently it is a consideration, it's just what do you do when things dry up! I have some coding experience in Vb.Net aswell, can I charge more for programming in that language because it is a more difficult language with more possibilities?

No, the language is only a tool. Unless you are hired for an ad hoc project that flat out REQUIRES skills in the given language, it doesn't matter.

If the client is only interested in the finished product, it is worth no more to them. If the client is interested in work on an existing product in some obscure code that nobody knowsw and their up the creek without a programmer, then the field changes.

though it is big possiblity a .NEt project will take longer time to code than Access.
    ghozy.