Book regarding the RDBMS concept

Hello Members

I want crsytal clear my concepts regarding the RDBMS from A-Z , so anybody can help me providing the information that which book will be the best and if it is available online edition.

Regards
    Praveen Kumar Pandey

CoVisible Solutions (I) Pvt. Ltd. "The Intelligent Offshore Outsourcing Channel"

Have you read an Introduction to Database Systems by C J Date? It isn't a light read, but it gives the real foundation for RDBMSs (which SQL DBMSs don't entirely live up to).

One more Question and Thank You Tony

Hello Tony

First thing first Thanks for prompt reply. One more Question is there can you provide me the information can i get this book online or not.

With Regards
    Praveen Kumar Pandey

Offshore Outsourcing

You can buy it online, via Amazon or similar.

You can't download it, if that's what you mean. It is only available as a physical book.

As Tony observed, you can't download it anywhere as far as I know, but Barnes and Noble will sell it to you.

-PatP

Another suggestion.

For data modeling, I find there are few books out there that really provide good information on design best practices. After a long hard search I determined
    The Data Modeling Handbook "A Best-Practices approach to Building Quality
    Data Models" is one of the best books you can buy. It takes time to understand their explaination for some of their modeling practicies. I wish they gave more examples and specifics. However, once you've run into the problems they describe it becomes more clear as to why they make their recommendations.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...145468-7819269

I find the date book to be a good academic book. However, it's difficult reading and requires a good background in math and set theory.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by praveenppandey
    Hello Members

I want crsytal clear my concepts regarding the RDBMS from A-Z , so anybody can help me providing the information that which book will be the best and if it is available online edition.

Regards
    Praveen Kumar Pandey
    You might also have a look at Pascal's Foundations series of papers. They're available as PDFs, and quite well done. (Though it'd be nice if they were properly typeset.)

I'd rec the aforementioned book (date - intro to database systems 8th ed), only remember that non of the major dbms's today fully implement the relational model.

I also have a copy of the Elmasri & Navathe - Fundamentals of database systems (4th Ed), an excellent book which apart from the above & below, is probably (IMO) the next best book on the market.

also look out for "the third manifesto - CJ date & H Darwin" book as a must for any one with a serious interest in the relational model.
    Last edited by FAC51; 11-09-04 at 15:02.

One book that you can start with is "Database Management Systems 3rd Ed" by R Ramakrishnan. It covers the relational model and some about the normal forms. You can find this (as pdfs) through google, I did just a few days ago.

If you have a math background and _really_ want to understand the relational model and the fundamental concept of functional dependencies, buy the book "Relational Database Theory", by Atzeni, De Antonellis.

/Mats