Unanswered: relationship help

I figured out how to upload this for viewing. This is the information that I have in my database. I need to do reports like:

equipment in space name
    cables in space name
    cables by equipment
    equipment by type of space
    cables by type of space

My biggest problem is trying to get Nomenclature A and Nomenclature B queried correctly. Each piece of equipment has a Nomenclature. Nomenclature A and Nomenclature B come from one list and will never be identical. How do I query it to do something like this:

List all Nomenclature A, list Nomenclature B IF it does NOT = Nomenclature B?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Suz
    Attached Files Attached Files

Provided Answers: 1
    You're schema is wacky...

I don't understand why you have two nomenclatures, so I'm not sure the best way to fix that. With what you currently have, you could use something like this:

SELECT [NOMENCLATURE A], iif(NOMENCLATURE B] <> [NOMENCLATURE A], [NOMENCLATURE B], "value if both nomenclatures are equal"
    FROM tblCABLES INNER JOIN tblEQUIPMENT ON tblCABLES.[NOMENCLATURE A] = tblEQUIPMENT.NOMENCLATURE
    INNER JOIN tblEQUIPMENT_1 ON tblEQUIPMENT_1.NOMENCLATURE = tblCABLES.[NOMENCLATURE B]

I would also advise you to rename your fields to something short with no spaces, it makes life easier later. That's more of a personal preference/best practice thing though, not like it's detrimental to your db.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I really appreciate your help, but I'm a moron. Would I type ALL of that and would it be in the expression builder or a macro?

Uh.. not to be rude, but maybe you should figure out what that does before you go squirting it into your database?

There's a fine line between tech support and free tech services...

sorry, I didn't mean to step over the line. I'm just really frustrated with this and not very familiar with this part of Access. Thanks again for your help.

We're always willing to help

The only way us lowly IT techs get the warm fuzzies is by knowing we helped someone UNDERSTAND the solution, instead of just got them by.

Teach a man to fish yadda yadda...

Take it slow, which parts don't you get?