Unanswered: CHAR --> DECIMAL --> CHAR conversion

I want to convert a CHAR value to DECIMAL and then add some numeric value to it and then convert it back to CHAR.

While converting the decimal value into CHAR, it appends 0's to the left side of the value to make the converted CHAR size to 18 characters. How can i avoid this??? I don't want those 0's..

see this test code:
    db2 select char(decimal('0')+1) from sysibm.sysdummy1

------------------

1 record(s) selected.

Thanks in advance & hope to hear your feedback.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Jake K
    I want to convert a CHAR value to DECIMAL and then add some numeric value to it and then convert it back to CHAR.

While converting the decimal value into CHAR, it appends 0's to the left side of the value to make the converted CHAR size to 18 characters. How can i avoid this??? I don't want those 0's..

see this test code:
    db2 select char(decimal('0')+1) from sysibm.sysdummy1

------------------

1 record(s) selected.

Thanks in advance & hope to hear your feedback.

Jake
    HI,
    you can use substr.

Use the precision-integer and scale-integer options of the DECIMAL function to specifiy the precision and scale of the result. (You will still get zeroes, just less of them) OR You could use LTRIM to remove zeroes from the resulting string, but if the result is 0000000000000000 you get nothing.

Try
    select cast(char(cast(decimal(c1)+1 as decimal(1))) as char) from sysibm.sysdummy1

Dakshinamurthi