Question Unanswered: DIFFERENCE B/W pOSTGRES & MS SQL.

hI,

PLS TELL ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN POSTGRESQL & MS SQL SERVER 2000.WHICH ONE IS BETTER? WHY IS IT BETTER ? UNDER WHAT CONDITIONS IS IT GOOD ? cOMPLETE COMPARISONS BETWEEN THE TWO, TAKING INTO CONSIDERATIONS ALL ISSUES.

I AM ASKING THESE CAUSE I HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN THE TWO TO DEVELOP A DATABASE.

PLS REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE,

THANKS,
    CHETAN B.

You checked the net voor articles comparing MS SQL vs Postgresql?

As im not that familiar with MS SQL i cannot do a full comparison for you. I can however point out a few things why i prefer Potgresql above MS SQL.

- Postgresql is faster (atleast thats the general opinion) than MS SQL and slower than mysql.
    - Postgres is free of charge
    - Postgresql runs under linux. (i actually dont know if MS SQL runs under linux btw)

As i am gonna use php, apache and linux, postgresql kinda claimed its place naturally (over mysql).

I've heard good things about Postgresql, some less good things about mysql and alot of bad things about MS SQL.

But then again, perhaps im everything but objective when it comes to postgresql

Goodluck with your decision!
    Last edited by Edje; 09-30-04 at 03:19.

Question

Hi,

Well, you have confused me even more,but anyways thanks for the reply.

I would really like if someone provides me proper comparison i still feel that Ms- Sql is much better then Postgres.After, the way i have used it both.
    The functions and simplicity in MS-SQL helps over the tediousness of postgres.
    But then again, perhaps i have not used both the databases to their extreme limits if someone has ,then i would like to know the answer.

Thanks,
    Chetan B.

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL