Question Unanswered: Converting 97 to XP

My employer will be moving to Win XP later this year. Our current office package does not yet contain Access. My manager has heard horror stories of converting Access 97 to XP, so I have been asked to find answers to his questions before we include Access XP in the office package, and I thought this would be a good place to ask.

1. What are the major issues with converting Access 97 to Access XP and what is the best way to determine now where problems may occur if we convert to XP.

2. (Stupid question, but I have to ask ) Does anyone know if you can install Access 97 on a machine running Office XP?

Thanks

1) There might be some codes, if there are codes on your DB, that you need to change some reference into XP. I am not quite sure which code are not supported in XP from Access 97.

2) Yes, you can install Access 97 running on Office XP. We have machine here running on Windows XP with Offixe XP installed but still uses Access 97. Our help desk did not install Access XP because of validation issues on our Access 97 DB or they don't want to re-validate the DB.

Simple answer

It depends on how complex your databases are. If Access isn't interracting with any other software (word, Excel etc) there should be no problems - if it is you'll have to update a lot of things.

We successfully converted a lot of medical audit databases from 97 to XP with only a few serious problems.

Fairly complex databases (50+ tables, 30+ forms, 70+ reports,100+ queries, modules macros etc). Didn't convert propoerly, so we created blank XP databases and imported all the 97 objects in. Some module code still didn't import (came up as garbage) so we did a cut and paste job on the mudules concerned.

Worked like a (bad) dream.

Upgrade

We had some pretty complex code and the upgrade went ok except for a few things like some activex controls.

Glad to hear it.