Unanswered: Reinstall SQL Sever 2000

Hi all,

I have a server that is missing some important files, and instead of doing process of elimination, I feel it is best just to reinstall 2000.

Now is there a way to reinstall 2000 and just getting the files that the server is missing?

Is there any guidelines or steps for reinstalling 2000 out there?

Thanking you in advance.

Lystra

Does anyone have any answers???

Thanks

Lystra

I have look everywhere in order to get detail for reinstalling 2000, and have come up with anything.

Will I need to uninstall SQL and then install it all over again to get the missing files???

Thanks

Lystra

Provided Answers: 11
    You can try to re-install the service pack. That will replace some files, but not necessarily all of them. And if you are missing enough files that SQL Server will not start up in the first place, you may end up having to just uninstall and re-install SQL Server, altogether.

And, of course, you may want to look into restricting the permissions so folks can not accidentally delete these files.

Thanks for responding.

As for the data files once I uninstall will the files be remove?

Do I need to move the data files of the server??

Lystra

Provided Answers: 11
    I have not uninstalled SQL Server many times, so I do not know if the data files are left on the disk. It is best to save off backups of all of your databases (master and msdb included), before you start this sort of thing. Once you are certain you can get all of your data back from any mishap, then you can start trying to get SQL Server off the box.

True, its always better to keep the upto date backup of the databases and store them in other location until the resinstallation process is completed.

There aren't any defined steps to reinstall just install the CD and continue as specified in the screen. Its better to do it from scracth by uninstalling current version , remot registery referenced keys, reboot the box and then reinstall SQL.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Hi

I have found a MS Knowledge base article on How to manually remove SQL server 2000 Default, named, or virtual instance.

I help you with the reinstall process.

Article # 290991

Thanks for all your help

Lystra