Unanswered: What is the difference between a UNIQUE INDEX and a UNIQUE CONSTRAINT?

A UNIQUE INDEX must inherently impose a unique constraint and a UNIQUE CONSTRAINT is most likely implemented via a UNIQUE INDEX. So what is the difference? When you create in Enterprise Manager you must select one or the other.

See BOL titled 'Using Unique Indexes'. It has a whole section talking about when you should create an index and when you should use a constraint.

True, BOoks online is the best and first resource to findout such information.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by BOL

Considerations

Specifying a unique index makes sense only when uniqueness is a characteristic of the data itself. If uniqueness must be enforced to ensure data integrity, create a UNIQUE or PRIMARY KEY constraint on the column rather than a unique index. For example, if you plan to query frequently on the Social Security number (ssn) column in the employee table (in which the primary key is emp_id), and you want to ensure that Social Security numbers are unique, create a UNIQUE constraint on ssn. If the user enters the same Social Security number for more than one employee, an error is displayed.
    Yeah, that really clears things up.
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

When a unique constraint is created it essentially creates a unique index. The most significant diff IMHO is the use of ALTER TABLE for unique constraints.

The bigger thing is the misconception that a constraint doesn't generate the index....

Now the question....is the index for every row or not?

Or is it a set of distinct values...like a CHECK?
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

Provided Answers: 54
    A constraint produces metadata for the table, which can be used by both the optimizer and by many kinds of ODBC based applications (particularly report generation tools). An index is created either way, because the index is the mechanism that enforces the uniqueness of rows for SQL Server.

In my opinion, the constraint is always the better choice, because it generates additional information with no material cost.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 11
    I believe (but have not tested it out) that you can have a foreign key reference a unique constraint, but not a unique index. I have not seen a lot of data models that would require such a thing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley
    I believe (but have not tested it out) that you can have a foreign key reference a unique constraint, but not a unique index. I have not seen a lot of data models that would require such a thing, though.
    [homer]
    dooooooooooh
    [/homer]

But of course..what a Maroon

Code:
    USE Northwind
    GO

SET NOCOUNT ON
    CREATE TABLE myTable99(Col1 int IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY, LastName varchar(50) UNIQUE)
    GO

INSERT INTO myTable99(LastName) SELECT 'Bush' UNION ALL SELECT 'Kerry' UNION ALL SELECT 'Nader'
    GO

CREATE TABLE myTable00(Col1 int IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY, LastName varchar(50)
    	, FOREIGN KEY (LastName) 
    	  REFERENCES myTable99(LastName))
    GO

CREATE TABLE myTable88(Col1 int IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY, LastName varchar(50))
    GO

INSERT INTO myTable88(LastName) SELECT 'Bush' UNION ALL SELECT 'Kerry' UNION ALL SELECT 'Nader'
    GO

-- Will Fail
    --CREATE TABLE myTable01(Col1 int IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY, LastName varchar(50)
    --	, FOREIGN KEY (LastName) 
    --	  REFERENCES myTable88(LastName))
    -- With:
    -- Server: Msg 1776, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    -- There are no primary or candidate keys in the referenced table 'myTable88' that match the referencing column list in the foreign key 'FK__myTable01__LastN__26A5A303'.
    -- Server: Msg 1750, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    -- Could not create constraint. See previous errors.
    GO

SET NOCOUNT OFF
    DROP TABLE myTable00
    --DROP TABLE myTable01
    DROP TABLE myTable99
    DROP TABLE myTable88
    GO
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List