Unanswered: Listing available DBs

Is there a command I can use in a powerbuilder program to get a list of available databases?

Thanks,
    Dan

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Is there a command I can use in a powerbuilder program to get a list of available databases?
    It depends, but probably not & in any case would be OS dependent.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

You should be a little more specific in what you are trying to do Dan.

Are you trying to find out the databases that reside on the machine, or are you trying to scan a network for "available databases"??? Or, are you assuming that Oracle operates in the same way that SQLServer does and puts multiple "databases" into a single instance of the server?

JoeB

Quote Originally Posted by joebednarz
    You should be a little more specific in what you are trying to do Dan.

Are you trying to find out the databases that reside on the machine, or are you trying to scan a network for "available databases"??? Or, are you assuming that Oracle operates in the same way that SQLServer does and puts multiple "databases" into a single instance of the server?

JoeB
    Actually it was suggested to me that I add a list of available DBs to an app like some other apps (toad, sql nav...) but I guess those tools are just listing your connection history. So I guess you can disregard my original question.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by everkleer
    Actually it was suggested to me that I add a list of available DBs to an app like some other apps (toad, sql nav...) but I guess those tools are just listing your connection history. So I guess you can disregard my original question.
    You'll probably need to parse tnsnames.ora - at least that's where I think TOAD gets its list of databases...