Thread: BCP Error

Unanswered: BCP Error

Hi there,

Does anyone know why this won't work:

bcp "SELECT DISTINCT Label From GMS_48hrAccess..tbl_SurgerySlot" queryout "c:\Labels.txt" -c -S@@SERVERNAME

It gives me the following error message:

Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Procedure sproc_ExportLabels, Line 9
    Line 9: Incorrect syntax near 'bcp'.

I'd expect a "SQL Server does not exists or access denied" errormessage but yours even suggests an error in a procedure. I really wonder how the sp comes into play, I'd suggest you remove the @@Servername and change it into the name of the server instead. @@Servername is not (directly) available from a command-prompt.

Thanks , but I've already tried inserting the server name directly with/without quotation marks and it still doesn't work...I can get it to work if I do the following:

DECLARE @cmdshell varChar(255)

SET @cmdShell = 'bcp "SELECT DISTINCT Label From GMS_48hrAccess..tbl_SurgerySlot" queryout c:\Labels.txt -c -S' + @@SERVERNAME

exec master..xp_cmdshell @cmdShell

However, this only seems to work on SQL Server 2000 and I need it to work on SQL Server 6.5 as well.....hence why I was trying to get the previous to work.

That could explain why the errormessage indicates a fault in the sp: you're running it from the sp. I have a case where @@servername is NULL btw, don't know how bad that is, but concatting a null to var/char usually results in a null var/char. The parameter -T might also help authenticating. Other than that, I don't see what's wrong but I don't know much about 6.5.

You need to indicate if it's a trusted connection -T, or supply the user name and the password...
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Provided Answers: 54
    That's an SQL error message. BCP is intended to be executed from the Windoze command prompt, not from within Query Analyzer. Where are you trying to execute that command?

-PatP

Thanks Pat, that explains it! So my xp..cmdShell example is the correct way to do it, any ideas why this wouldn't work on a 6.5 server?

Thanks Pat, that explains it! So my xp_cmdShell example is the correct way to do it, any ideas why this wouldn't work on a 6.5 server?

Provided Answers: 54
    A lot would depend on what error the 6.5 machine coughed up when you tried to run it... For one thing, the queryout parameter wasn't supported on 6.5, and it was a lot touchier about authentication so you'd have to provide /U and /P values.

-PatP