Thread: Rollback

Unanswered: Rollback

I am updating a large number of records in a 7.3 db. I keep getting rollback errors (out of space) and the amount of records that I process seem to shrink everytime I get a new "rollback" message. Is there a way to clear the rollback buffer to utilize all the roolback space or is there a way to increase the rollback segment while online?

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Alter Tablespace Rbs Add Datafile ........
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Provided Answers: 4
    Would you be satisfied with this solution: divide your transaction into smaller ones; let's say, you have to update million records. Use a cursor loop and update thousand records in a loop and commit your updates. Loop thousand times (actually, until you run out of available records) and that'll do it.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Use a cursor loop and update thousand records in a loop and commit your updates
    This is a recipe for incurring the dreaded ORA-01555 Snapshot too old error.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

> This is a recipe for incurring the dreaded ORA-01555 Snapshot too old error.

True, but if this is a one-off update and no further resources are available (they haven't upgraded their Oracle version in almost 10 years, so why should they allocate sufficient disk space?) you might get away with it. Perhaps start with updating 100,000 at a time and only reduce it if that fails.

...Unless of course "rollback errors (out of space)" actually refers to ORA-01555.

Another way of carrying out a big UPDATE is to INSERT the required rows into a new table, then either rename the tables or TRUNCATE the original and INSERT back into it.