Unanswered: read only database

Hi, emmergency help, how can i change database table from read only to read write

right click on the database file, choose properties and uncheck read-only option. then click OK.
    ghozy.

but it is uncheck, I just move the database to another server, i change the link table to new server, but it can't add new record, i don't know why. It said: You can't go to specified record.Anybody help me. Emergency help!!!

can you modify any record? edit? delete? if you can't it might be your user rights on the server.
    ghozy.

when i open it, it said it is read only, when i check the properties, it is uncheck the read only. Can you figure out for me. thanks

as I said maybe you don't have write/modify/delete permissions on the server drive. please contact with your system administrator and make sure you have necessary permissions.
    ghozy.

the server i just move the database to is new server, we just create a share folder, i copy the database from old server to this server. Actually, this job let me have to figure out by myself, i am a new system administrator, can anybody let me know how set up permission. This server has share folder that anybody can access, i believe the permission had problem. So user only can read, but not modify. that is why i can' add record, Could anybody tell me more about how to set permission for my share folder so that they can add new record. I try to move the database to my local machine, it works totally fine. So i believe the permission had pbm. Thanks in advance. Hope to hear from you soon!

if you can copy/paste/delete any file into this directory then you have proper rights. if you can't do this operations you have only read-only rights. user rights on a server completely another matter and it is subject to change depends on operating and authorization systems. sorry, I can't really help you there.
    ghozy.

You are right, when i copy file from other drive to this map drive, i can't make copy. So I have to log in the new server to copy the file. That means user only has read only right. We use window 2000 server. Did you know where can i get some information about that. I am going to bookstore to find some info, or i may check online. Thanks for all your help. Have a nice weekend.

sharing rights are completely different if your server using Active Directory or simple file sharing, if your drive using NTFS or FAT32. in Win XP Pro basically you right click on the folder and choose sharing and security option and you can arrange sharing rights there. I don't know how it is in the Windows 2000 server. You definately need at least a handbook about Windows 2000 Server managment.
    and here is a article about sharing on Windows 2000. hope this helps.
    http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa010128a.htm
    Last edited by ghozy; 09-26-04 at 17:00. Reason: link changed/info addition
    ghozy.

Thanks, let me check this site. It is real new to me.

Hello, when i right click the share folder, and go to secrurity tab, i add the user as full control, also i add the use as full control under the share folder. But it still can't add new record. Can you help again? thanks.

After i check the share folder in the new server, it is permit everyone to read only, so that means even if i create user a full control in the folder, it is sill read only. Is that right? If i change every one to be read/write control, it works fine. If i set every one to be read/wriet, The problem is that we don't want everyone can access this folder. How to set this permission? thanks.

if your system is using NT authentication, you can add their user names to share list on server. I'm not a pro on networking so, I can't really help you too much. Since it will be your job for awhile, I strongly recommend you to buy a reference book about Windows Servers.
    ghozy.