Unanswered: MCDBA hot or not?

I've been working with SQL for close to a year now and I'm wondering if its worth the time and money to become certified. Are DBA's still on the up and rising or another job that will be outsourced to India?

Anyone?????

I'm curious of the same thing. I have been working with SQL for a little over a year. I'm wondering if it's still on the up and rising and also if it pays financially. I've heard both good and bad so far.
    Last edited by SQLQueen; 09-25-04 at 23:51.

While some DBA work could be done remotely from offshore contractors, most companies want at least a few critical support people on-site. DBA's and network engineers seem very stable positions at this point. The developer DBA positions seem to be moving offshore with the programming staff. Make sure you are a production DBA with skills in data warehousing and you will have a career in the USA for the next ten years.

The MCDBA certification might make the difference if your company is deciding which positions to outsource. If I was making that decision, I would keep the MCDBA's with five years experience and outsource those with less credentials.

Just my opinion but I have read similar sentiments in the IT trade publications...