Cool Unanswered: Import Multiple Lines of Text to MS Access

I'm in the army and have a personnel database we import a massive alpha roster of over 18,000 personnel on a frequent basis. I attached an example of the text file. Remember this is for 18,000 personnel I obviously didn't attach this 167 MB file. We have used Monarch in the past, it is to complicated for me, I was hoping someone knew of an easier way to import this data.

example:

Name SSN UNIT UIC
    Doe, John 123456789 101st Airborne WAB1AA

ASVAB Score DOB BASD DOR
    117 740714 930624 930624

Name SSN UNIT UIC
    Doe, Jane 987654321 101st Airborne WAB1AA

ASVAB Score DOB BASD DOR
    117 740714 930624 930624

Any Help you can offer would be appreciated. I need to extract some of the data and place it into one line so I can import it to MS Access. All the data matches up all the way down, I need to be able extract all the names, ssn, unit, uic, etc......

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lightbulb

Few questions for you:

1) In your post you show the indivuals as in Airborne whereas in the text sample you attached they are shown as Infantry UA4. Are they the same? Should anyone with a UA4 designation be considered as Airborne?

2) In your post example, you related each soldier with 4 lines of result, yet further on you want only one line. Which is it?

3) The attched text example contains a LOT of information for each individual. Do you only want to pull out exactly what you show in your example text in the post and that's all?

4) Is ALL the data contained within your 167meg data file (now this is important) consistantly the same as what you provided within the attached example text file?

5) Would you be happy with a database sample providing the solution to your task? Where the data can be placed within a new table and or appended to an exisiting table (selectable)? Scan for duplicates and inform you?

6) In your third line for each individual (in the example text in post) you show a header of DOR. This does not exist within the attached Example.Txt file. Did you mean DOB? I also noticed that you show no data for this header in your post sample. Should there be?

7) Where are you getting the data for these headings located within your post example?

ASVAB Score DOB BASD DOR

The only ones I can find within the attached text data file is DOB and BASD.
    And how are you coming up with the supplied answers for these headings?
    Or will you have to shoot me if I Know?

8) Would you be willing to pay for it? <just kidding>

9) Can I get the entire 167meg list from you and sell it to the Chineese? <again...just kidding>

Last edited by CyberLynx; 09-26-04 at 06:04.

Import Multiple Lines of Text to MS Access

Sorry can't give the info don't want too lose my secret clearance.

What I want to do is

Select data within my text file that is pretty much in the same format throughout the document. The very first header with name, etc will serve as the start of the data.

I just want to extract the data from the text file which will go into an excel file to be imported into MS Access. I found a great program for this but the $149 price tag sucks. I might try to convince the Army to pay for it just hoping someone knew of a better solution.

I definately need to learn C++ and all that programming stuff so I can make that big money.....

Thanks