Angry Unanswered: database can't find itself?!

I have a commercial Access db that we're trying to install. As I understand it, the database resides on a server, and there is some software installed on each user's PC that allows the users to login (an .exe file, no databases on the user's end). There is a security workgroup setup. The 'remote' host is installed, and I'm trying to do the installation on my PC.

We followed the setup steps, and now it can't find itself. I've even gone through Explorer to directly open the .mdb file on the server, but it can't find itself. It can find MSACCESS.exe, which it couldn't do before.

My thoughts:

1) Version problem- the manual says it's compatible with Access 2000 and 2002, but I have 2003.

2) Security workgroup problem. Might I need to do something before I login?

3) We installed something wrong.

Are you sure the workstations has Access on it? Verify through the start menu.

Unhappy

Yes. We put the remote copy on a PC and have connected it to the network for everyone to access because the server doesn't have Access. BTW, why does that make a difference? We have other Access databases on the server for multiple users that work fine. They don't have security set up though.

do you need to set up an ODBC connection on each of the client machines?