Unanswered: Combox form and subform

Hi!

I would like to receive help for following problem.

I have the tables :

CATALOGS – with the fields: ID_CATALOG (number of the CATALOG); NAME OF FASTERNERS and ID_CATEGORY ;

CATEGORIES – with the fields: ID_CATEGORY and NAME_CATEGORY (like screws, nuts, washers);

Table 3 - with the fields: ID_CATALOG and ID_CATEGORY (one catalog could have more than one category);

And I want to build a form with a NAME_CATEGORY COMBOX that when I choose a value it controls a subform that lists all titles of catalogs loaded. Also the available values on the COMBOX, should be the values of the table 3.

Regards,

koolaccess

Is it possible to attach your database to mess with?

Attached to msg is the file.

Regards.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by koolaccess
    And I want to build a form with a NAME_CATEGORY COMBOX that when I choose a value it controls a subform that lists all titles of catalogs loaded. Also the available values on the COMBOX, should be the values of the table 3.
    Code:
    ' I usually use RecordsetClone with the bookmark property
    ' to run the record change from the combo box.
    ' If you set your form as you have it only
    ' with a sub form and Master/Child fields linked on the ID_CATEGORY
    ' when the main form category changes the sub form will stay in sink.
    ' to set the Master/Child field links you have to access the properties
    ' of the subForm object in the design view (not the form itself) the
    ' subform object will be active when you have a resizable border showing
    ' around the form and the cursor shows a hand when you move over the
    ' border. Then right click and select properties, link settings are on the
    ' data tab. hope thats not as confusing as it sounds.

' Here's a sample this works off of the on_change event of your
    ' combo box object. and the combo box will need to be unbound
    ' with the Row source type set to Table/Query and the Row Source
    ' set to a query for your list of values.

'--------START------------

Option Compare Database

Private Sub cmboNameCategroy_Change()
    Set rst = Me.RecordsetClone
        strCategoryID = Me.cmboNameCategory
        strCriteria = "NAME CATEGRY = " & strCategoryID
        rst.FindFirst strCriteria
        rstBookMark = rst.Bookmark
        Me.Bookmark = rstBookMark
    End Sub
    ~

Bill

I just messed about with your form to show you what I would do. See attached - hope this is what you are looking for.

koolaccess,

I came to work thinking about the form that I modified and I think that you are going to need to make a slight alteration.

Within the SQL statement of Combo_CategoryName and List_Fixtures you may wish to alter the code relating to CategoryID.

As it stands, if you put 1 in the ID Catgory it is going to search for *1* so you'll end up with 1, 10, 11, 31, etc...

Just take the ("*" & ... AND ...& "*") out of the statement for this.
    In addition to this when searching for Screw in the name, it will also look up Screwdriver, ScrewBall... Same solution.

Christy

Hi!

First of all I wish to thank you for the two solutions for my problem.

I’m just a beginner so I had to take a time to understand yours solutions.

Also I would like to put some questions about combox:

1 - a combox is like a container of information that displays information as result of row_source (query or sql statement). And I can’t use a combox as data control record and to do something similar I have to create procedures like after_update and use requery ( I want that you say about what I wrote is right or not) to update the information displayed.

2- Error “Class does not support automation or does not support expected interface” – when this error appears I think it is related with the first point.

Cristy:

From what I understood of “LOOK UP FOR FASTERNERS BY CATEGORY” form it is based on: two combox unbound and one subform unbound. And each objects has procedures.

*So, how did you make disappear the data control from the bottom of the “LOOK UP FOR FASTERNERS BY CATEGORY” form?

*And on “Option Compare Database” where is

“Pritave Sub List_Fasteners_BeforeUpadate(Cancel As Interger)”

Is it necessary to make possible for the procedure of the subform to receive the values of the two combox and display the result?

Savbill:

I understood what you said I’ll try to implement your solution.

Regards,

Koolacess.

Hey koolaccess,

To be quite honest I don't really understand what I do myself - its really trial and error stuff.

Q: So, how did you make disappear the data control from the bottom of the “LOOK UP FOR FASTERNERS BY CATEGORY” form?

A: If my understanding of the what you asked is correct the datacontrol is the buttons for next record, last record etc? If thats right, if you look at properties of the form, I have set a load of the values to "No" - What I think you are talking about is Navigation Buttons.

Q: And on “Option Compare Database” where is
    “Pritave Sub List_Fasteners_BeforeUpadate(Cancel As Interger)”

A: In a sense I have bypassed this by using the requery commands on after_update of the two combos meaning that the beforeUpdate() isn't necessary because the list should be updated with the combos.

Q: Is it necessary to make possible for the procedure of the subform to receive the values of the two combox and display the result?

A: As the form I altered stands, the list box should update with both values. however I have once again modified your form because of what I was thinking this morning - I have removed the * because with this, looking at Cat 1 will display Cat1, Cat10, Cat31 etc.. anything with one in.

Your list box now also includes the 4 values.. CategoryID, CategoryName, FastenerName, CatalogueID.

My e-mail address is oconnor@excalibutt.freeserve.co.uk and if you do need me to explain, check with MSN messenger see if I'm around. I have trouble explaining in this format - at least with messenger I can show you through.