Thread: Question???

Unanswered: Question???

In order to install SQL we have the domain account, used to start up service account.

However I have notice that certain jobs are running with that same account and, also there are databases created using that same account. Isn't that dangerous?

To run certain jobs shouldn't you use the sa account?

Also, I notice that they have created a login for that account on the server itself, so that users of jobs can pick from a pick list to select it to run jobs.

Am I wrong in thinking this way, someone please advise me.

Lystra

Here goes my 2 ct:
    Having a service account to run sql-server is a good idea. Allowing any domain account creating databases, tables, views... up to the point that the domain account OWNS the objects created is imho confusing and, in my experience, breaks up later development and maintenance. So _I_'d call it bad practice.

Thanks for your 2 cent.

I found the information below on the web.

DBAs generally tend to run SQL Server service using a domain administrator account. That is asking for trouble. A malicious SQL Server user could take advantage of these domain admin privileges. Most of the times, a local administrator account would be more than enough for SQL Server service.

Thanks

Lystra