Unanswered: Basic Help on Creating Forms in Access

Hi,

I'm a first time access user, and I want to create an electronic form which the people in the company can use at their own computers (equipppd with Access) to enter data into, and the data would be transferred automatically into a database. Can someone give me an idea what would be the difficult part of this process? I am having trouble picturing how this would actually work in actuality (i.e. the data flow from various computers into a centralized database?)

Thank you.

Jonathan W.

Thumbs up

To create a multi user system you need to create at least two databases.
    The first database containing all common tables. Put this database into a shared location on your server.

Then create the database that the user should use.
    Entering this database for the first time press
    "File / Get External Data / Link Tables"

I guess you now got the picture how various users accessing the same data set.

Good luck !

Sincerely
    Vestigo

Security/Efficiency Issues? Alternatives?

thanks for your reply. I was wondering if there are any efficiency/security issues with this approach. Is it inefficient if each user has to maintain his own local db and will transferring the data (via table linking) lead to possible data stolen/lost?

Also, is there a more straight-forward and stable solution to accomplish my goal of a multi-user data input system that does not involve access? (i.e. would maybe using a web-cgi form be easier to implement and still accomplish the same task?)

Jonathan.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thblue
    thanks for your reply. I was wondering if there are any efficiency/security issues with this approach. Is it inefficient if each user has to maintain his own local db and will transferring the data (via table linking) lead to possible data stolen/lost?

Also, is there a more straight-forward and stable solution to accomplish my goal of a multi-user data input system that does not involve access? (i.e. would maybe using a web-cgi form be easier to implement and still accomplish the same task?)

Jonathan.
    I can pretty much tell you this (and others might disagree): Having linked tables is slower, and does nothing for a multi-user implementation. Actually it hinders it (from the standpoint of new record entry) ... The way I do this is to have "disconnected" recordsets and temporary tables that are used to hold info in transition until Add/Update in the database.
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...