Unanswered: ISDN Dialup setup for SQL SERVER 2000 Replication

I am using two windows 2000(SP4) server box for Sql server 2000(SP3a) replication wit following methods-

1. ISDN Dialup line with NT1 terminator at both end.
    2. Create Dialup from one computer.
    3. Create RAS with static IP Address at second computer (Dial in) for acceptance of dialing.
    4. Dialing from one place to another computer and get connection by dialup.
    5. I can ping only Remote IP (RAS STATIC) Address at both end.

Try to registered SQL Server 2000 from dial place or dial in place got following errors-
    Specify Sql server not found, Connection Open Connected()

What I am missing in setup of windows or Sql server 2000 or any hard component, let me help. Is the any need of physical router.

Dear Pat Phelan Sir
    Resident Curmudgeon

Lot of thanks to you for your valuable suggesion, I did do whatever you suggested prior to his emal but not yet got solution

I am using port 1430 for a server and 1440 for b server.

How I can open my case with MS-PSS (Microsoft Professional Support Services), I didn't find any rool for unregistered users.

Thanking You

R.Mall

Provided Answers: 54
    Can you register the machines by IP address instead of by name? In other words instead of registering "ServerA" by its name, can you register it as something like 123.45.67.89 ?

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Can you register the machines by IP address instead of by name? In other words instead of registering "ServerA" by its name, can you register it as something like 123.45.67.89 ?

-PatP
    Sir,

Thanks for your reply.

How I can register with IP Address, Whereever I install sql server 2000 , enterprise edition , I got always instance with servername/sqlinstance.

I use enterprise manager , browse sql server group and below that instance which is default with server name , I remove it and add like under-

192.168.0.100\sqlinstance

but still I am not getting this sql servername at the 2nd remote server.

I got error -

SQL Server doesn't exit or access denied.

Thanks to you

The 192.168.0.100\sqlinstance should work even if you only have minimal TCP/IP connectivity. That makes me suspect that access is denied rather than being unable to reach the SQL Server.

Are you using Windows or SQL authentication? Can you use the same login credentials to connect locally (on the server itself) that you are trying to use remotely?

As far as reaching http://support.microsoft.com/]Microsoft Support, it doesn't appear that your problem has the time sensitivity that I originally thought. If you need an answer quickly (between an hour and a day), Microsoft Support can help you much better than the help you can get over the internet. If you have a week or two between attempts to work on the problem, then they are probably overkill and needless expense.

-PatP

Thanks of your prompt reply.

Sir,

I am using two windows 2000(SP4) server box for Sql server 2000(SP3a) replication wit following methods-

2. Put router at both place and I can ping both server by IP address.

I register sqlserver 2000 default instance which is created by servername/sqlinstance like under-
    1. Open enterprise manager.
    2. browse sqlserver group
    3. remove servername/sqlinstance
    4. Registered by adding 192.168.0.1\sqlinstance at both site

Where it is correct way to register IP Address in sqlserver.

I again go into enterprise manager and new registration under server a for server b with new name like 192.168.0.1\sqlinstance.

I got both instance as above on server a for a and b
    192.168.0.1\sqlinstance.
    192.168.100.50\sqlinstance.

Whenever I am going to register server a on server b by same above methods to another I got error – ‘SQL Server doesn’t exit or access denied’

I feel it may sufficienet for merge replication by server a so got following error-

publisher - PRSTGIND\SQLIND
    agent - PRSTGIND\SQLIND-pml-pml-192.168.100.50\SQLDWS-4
    publication - pml
    subsctription - 192.168.100.50\SQLDWSml
    error - The process could not deliver the snapshot to the Subscriber.
    Agent Merge replication provider -2147201001
    Agent 192.168.100.50\sqldws 20037
    ODBC 192.168.100.50\sqldws

Agent - PRSTGIND\SQLIND-pmst-pmst-192.168.100.50\SQLDWS-3
    error - The subscription to publication 'pmst' is invalid.
    last command {call sp_MSgetreplicainfo(?,?,?,?,?,?,?)}

What is wrong in registration, le me help

Thanking You

R.Mall

Sir I am waiting for you with last query

You can register both servers using the IP address and instance name in the SQL Enterprise Manager on one server, so it would appear that the addresses are correct and are accepted by that server.

Assuming that the TCP/IP configuration is reflexive (the same data is allowed to pass in the same way from both sides), that means that the link itself is good because you can register both of the servers on one of them.

Because you can't register the remote server on only one of the servers, I suspect that the problem now lies in authentication. I assume that you are using Windows authentication to connect to the remote servers, and that the server that can't connect is using a Windows login that does not have permission to connect to the remote SQL Server.

-PatP

I think if that was the case the error message would be different.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

I am using mix mode athentication and for repliaction specific - SQL Server Database authentication with sa user and password.

Thanks for prompt reply

If you are using SQL authentication with the correct sa password then authentication shouldn't be any problem.

I just re-read your original post, and noticed point #5 for the first time. Do I understand it correctly that you can only ping the static IP address on the RAS host, but that you can not ping the IP of the RAS client from either machine ?

Which of the machines can you successfully register remotely, the host machine that runs RAS waiting for the connection, or the client machine that initiates ("dials into") the RAS connection?

As a diagnostic tool, please drop to the command prompt on both machines and issue the command:
    Code:
    ipconfig >ipconfig.txt
    and either PM or post the results. Please be sure to label the results so we can tell which came from the host and which came from the client.

I think we are missing something simple, but at least so far I haven't been able to identify what we're missing.

-PatP

Sir,

Thanks for long time association and co-oprtion.

RAS Was initially put by us rightnow we have to changed our configuration and hardware with router and following setting we are using -

2. Put router at both place and I can ping both server by IP address.

I register sqlserver 2000 default instance which is created by servername/sqlinstance like under-
    1. Open enterprise manager.
    2. browse sqlserver group
    3. remove servername/sqlinstance
    4. Registered by adding 192.168.0.1\sqlinstance at both site

Where it is correct way to register IP Address in sqlserver.

I again go into enterprise manager and new registration under server a for server b with new name like 192.168.0.1\sqlinstance.

I got both instance as above on server a for a and b
    192.168.0.1\sqlinstance.
    192.168.100.50\sqlinstance.

Whenever I am going to register server a on server b by same above methods to another I got error – ‘SQL Server doesn’t exit or access denied’

I feel it may sufficienet for merge replication by server a so got following error-

publisher - PRSTGIND\SQLIND
    agent - PRSTGIND\SQLIND-pml-pml-192.168.100.50\SQLDWS-4
    publication - pml
    subsctription - 192.168.100.50\SQLDWSml
    error - The process could not deliver the snapshot to the Subscriber.
    Agent Merge replication provider -2147201001
    Agent 192.168.100.50\sqldws 20037
    ODBC 192.168.100.50\sqldws

Agent - PRSTGIND\SQLIND-pmst-pmst-192.168.100.50\SQLDWS-3
    error - The subscription to publication 'pmst' is invalid.
    last command {call sp_MSgetreplicainfo(?,?,?,?,?,?,?)}

What is wrong in registration, le me help

Thanking You

R.Mall