Unanswered: Connection Problem

Hello Everyone,

I installed the Oracle 8i client on my Windows XP Professional PC to connect to a couple of Oracle 8i & 9i servers. I was able to connect and there were no problems at all.

A few weeks later I attempt to connect again, but I'm unable to. When I use the Net8 Easy Config tool, it reports the following error:

"Java.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"

I'm then given the opportunity to send the error report to Microsoft. I've uninstalled the client (by using Safe Mode and deleting the Oracle folder) and reinstalled it but to no avail. I have made a successful connection once, but when I try again straight away it fails. I do note the client uses it's own version of Java in its own folder, not the Java runtime that's installed. I've installed the Oracle client on another PC and it's working fine.

In the few weeks between using the client I've upgrade Netscape Navigator from 7.1 to 7.2 and Firefox from 0.9 to 1.0, but I'm not sure how this could affect the Oracle client.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Dunedin

Skip the NET8 easy config tool and just copy over a tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora from a working pc to your <oracle>/network/admin directory.

Alan

Hello Alan,

Many thanks for your reply. I'm still having problems even after copying the files you mentioned. Not only is the Net8 Easy Config application failing it's any application (ie Visual FoxPro or Access, etc) that's failing. Some applications will use a connection string, some will use a System ODBC setting but either method fails.

What is odd is that if I deliberately misspell the Host name the test doesn't crash, it reports the connection couldn't be established. I do know Java is working on my PC as I'm able to use the Java Web Start applets correctly.

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,

Dunedin397

Hello Alan,

Many thanks for your reply. I'm still having problems even after copying the files you suggested. Not only is the Net8 Easy Config application failing it's any application (ie Visual FoxPro or Access, etc) that's failing. Some applications will use a connection string, some will use a System ODBC setting but either method fails.

What is odd is that if I deliberately misspell the Host name the test doesn't crash, it reports the connection couldn't be established. I do know Java is working on my PC as I'm able to use the Java Web Start applets correctly.

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,

Dunedin397