Unanswered: ERROR:DBI1055E The message file db2install.cat cannot be found

Hello.

I am trying in install DB2 run-time client V8.1 on Slackware Linux v.10.0. I copied the CD-ROM including the client onto the harddrive, changed the install script use rpm --nodeps ... instead of rpm ... as recommended on some forum page. Installed the client but for some reason the install couldn't create the needed instance to catalog nodes and databases. Same thing happens when using db2icrt to create the instance.

The error I get during the install is like this:

Command to be run: "/opt/IBM/db2/V8.1/instance/db2icrt -a SERVER -s client db2inst2".
    ERROR:An error occurred while creating the instance "db2inst2". The return code
    is "1". Create the instance manually using the command 'db2icrt'.

ERROR: DBI1055E The message file db2install.cat cannot be found.

Explanation: The message file required by the instance
    scripts are missing from the system; it may have been
    deleted or the database products may have been loaded
    incorrectly.

Any ideas?

Regards
    Kristjan Gudni

when you use the nodeps in rpm you are making sure that all the dependices are available and verified.

My recommendation at this stage are is to use db2_deinstall and use
    db2_install to install the package.
    or you need to search through db2/linux and check which rpm is missing
    very hard way.

I prefer to use rpm -ivh <Package_name> for installation

regards & thanks

Mujeeb

when you use the nodeps in rpm you are making sure that all the dependices are available and verified.

My recommendation at this stage are is to use db2_deinstall and use
    db2_install to install the package.
    or you need to search through db2/linux and check which rpm is missing
    very hard way.

I prefer to use rpm -ivh <Package_name> for installation

regards & thanks

Mujeeb

The reason for the --nodeps is that Slackware uses its own package system - not rpm. I can ask it to install rpm packeges but then the depency checks can easily fail even though required modules are already installed.

Thanks for the reply
    Kristjan

Well, on Slackware 10.0 the rpms installed with --nodeps (one can alter the script as well) but it's a hassle to uninstall them if needed since Slackware doesn't maintain an rpm database.
    So it's better to check for cpio to be installed and convert them to tarballs using rpm2targz and simply extract those, or convert to tgz and installpkg them.

What fails however is DB2 on -current hence supposedly on the upcoming Slackware 10.1. Gives me unresolved symbols, possibly lib problems.

Edit: think ~ /.profile wasn't installed by DB2, is it possible that the rpm installation chmods some scripts or so?
    Last edited by DexterF; 11-05-04 at 08:06.

I have had the same problem, when copying files from the CD. If you just run the install from the CD it will work okay. However, I wasn't using Slackware... I used SLES8.