Exclamation Unanswered: Advanced: Networking/Linked tables

Hi, I am running an all-Access 2003 DB over a small network with all the tables and data on a db on a server, and another db that links to the server db on each station. Each user is supposed to have a limited windows XP user account (instead of comp administrator) on his/her staion. But Access won’t allow a limited user through to the main DB on the server. When I try to run the db form a station under a limited account it acts as if the station wasn’t able to connect to the server, but if I change the user to a comp admin it works just fine. Does anyone know how to make this work for limited users? Any help or pointers would be nice. Thanks.

Cool

I don't know much about servers and networks, but what are the limited users permitted to do? For Access to work properly, they need to be able to read, edit and write, basically everything other than "full control". If you want users to have read-only access to your records, you have to set that up within your database.

My users are supposed to be just standard Windows XP limited user accouts; but as far as their rights I don’t know how to view or change that. When a Windows XP user account is created, you have two choices under account type: ‘Computer Administrator’ or ‘Limited User’ and my users are supposed to be of the second kind so they can’t install anything on their stations, etc. But Access won’t work properly unless I set each user as ‘Computer Administrator’!!!

Super User

I'm sure you should have a super user account type. If this is the same problem I've had in the past it lies with Windows not XP (but it might be a different problem that you have). Check the account types again and, if necessary create a custom account. Access users need, at least, to have write permissions on the directories on the server where the data resides.

Thanks guys, I think your posts are on the right track. I'll let you know how it all turns out in the next few days...

You are making your life complicated. All users logged in on their own workstations should be Administrators. User privileges are controlled by the server and supercede any rights given on a workstation. Accessing a particular folder on the server (Read/Write/Change/Etc) should be controlled by login script files and the definitions which you assign to Users in the server's Administrative Tools\Server Security policy\Users . . . etc.

The same applies to User rights on the workstation itself, you could do the same on the control panel, Administrative tools\Local Security Policy\. . . , and there are about 100+ settings which you can manipulate but, it's not worth it and won't affect the server settings !!! Workstation Win2000 and XP defaults to most common sensible User rights and permissions.