Unanswered: Rollforward without log files

Hi,

This is ver 8.1 on aix 5.2

We have production and standby server. We have full offline bkp on weekend that we apply at standby server. The database on standby is always on rollforward pending state. How do I take it out of rollforward state and make it online without logfiles. I do not need the standby database to be up to the minute with production server. Just need to bring it online without having any logfiles after applying restore of the offline bkp from prodution.

I do not want to use without rolling forward option during restore on standby server as it must be in rollforward pending state all the time. It needs to be online only when needed. So is there any way to bring it online without logfiles from prod.

Thanks in advance,
    toby

When you restore the db, did you use "without rolling forward" phrase. If not you can give the command
    db2 rollforward db dbalias complete
    which should take it out of rollforward pending state
    mota

Thanks for the reply. I did not restore DR server with 'without rolling forward' as thats the requrement. DR server is not supposed to be online unless needed.

I gave 'db2 rollforward db DBNAME complete' command .
    But it didnt work. it gave me error
    SQL0276N Connection to database "DBNAME" cannot be made because it is in
    the restore pending state. SQLSTATE=08004

Any suggestions how i can bring this database online after restoring full offline backup.

Thanks
    toby

I'm afraid you have to 'restore without rolling forward' again; I expected the db state to be 'ROLLFORWARD PENDING' at best. Are you doing a redirected restore? ie change the names of the containers in standby from prod?
    mota

To my understanding, you cannot use 'WITHOUT ROLLING FORWARD' for a online backup ... If that is allowed, the database may be left in an inconsistent state ..

In V8.2, you have the option to include logs in the backup image .. So, you will not have the problem of 'missing' log files

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

did u try?

db2 "rollforward database [dbname] stop"

it shud work even if u don't have logfiles available