Question Unanswered: Unable to Read/Design Forms

I recently took over maintenance of a database for a client and needed to make some changes to the database. I am able to make changes in the tables, reports, and queries but the forms say that I need Read and Design rights before I can make changes. This is a 97 database with a single password on the database, nothing else I can see in the way of security.. What do I need to do to edit the forms?

Need help fast!

is it a .mdb or .mde database?
    ghozy.

the database is an .mdb

I believe eihter you don't have admin access to database or admin access on your database is limited.
    here is the link to the security manager download on the ms site. check and see if you have proper rights for the database.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q236010
    ghozy.

Thanks for the link, it looks like a useful tool and I will use it, actually most of the dev work I do is in 2000 or up, I am doing a conversion of the 97 to 2000 but I still cannot get into the forms..

I really need help with this one as there are 120 forms and I do not want to recreate them from scratch. Here is what I have tried so far:

Used my own .mdw file--- did not help

Created a blank database and imported the other 97 in--- it took all the tables, queries, reports. but did not take the forms...

HELP? what can I do next??

as I said it looks like database secured at user-level security. you should check and see what rights you have on the database with that tool then you should give modify design rights to admin account, if it doesn't have.
    ghozy.

Angry

Thanks Ghozy but the tool is only allowing me to view the Admin rights that I currently have, when I check off READ/DESIGN or the Administrator rights and click Apply, I get the Same error as before... I really need to get into the forms to make some changes ... Any other suggestions to change the rights? I've tried creating a new database and importing the other database but it says I have no rights to read the forms, only to Open and Run them...

Help!!

Try to create a new db and import all the objects in the new db

i already tried that, see previous postings before replying....

I'm not sure if this is possible but can you open the form and copy/paste into a blank form? I'm not sure if you've mentioned whether or not you can get in Design View.

I know I've also done "Save As" before but don't think that will solve your problem as it will probably inherits any rights.

Any chance of getting ahold of the old DBA?

thanks kccpo, yeah, that is precisely the problem, Admin is the only user defined but the rights of READ/DESIGN are not given to Admin for ALL of the FORMS...

I will try that as you suggested, but suspect it will not work because in order to copy, you need READ rights... I've noticed that there is also a Single Module that I cannot access either...

The former DBA was fired and did not leave any friends.. the database had no password protection on it so this is the first "security" issue that has ever come up...

After researching the MS Security FAQ, I discovered that this is probably what is going on here:

20. How do I keep users from viewing Code Behind Forms?
    Microsoft Access 2.0: You can't prevent users from viewing any code that you place directly in a form or report module (this code is typically referred to as Code Behind Forms, or CBF). Unfortunately, there is a bug in Microsoft Access 2.0 that exposes all CBF if the user includes DebugLibraries=True in the [Options] section of the MSACC20.INI file, which is impossible to secure. There is no workaround for this in Microsoft Access 2.0, but it was fixed in Microsoft Access 95. You can help protect your code by moving sensitive procedures to global modules, and calling the global procedures from your CBF. Make sure to remove Read Design permissions from your global modules.

Microsoft Access 95, Microsoft Access 97, and Microsoft Access 2000: Remove Read Design permissions from your forms.

Sooooo now what?

Am I in a corner??

I searched around to find a tool to reset security rights for access database but all I find is recovering lost passwords tools.
    if you feel so desperate you might try some professional help.
    http://www.e-tech.ca/001-RAS.asp
    let me add that I have no experience with this compnay. I found them with a google search. so you try at your risk.
    good luck.
    ghozy.