Unhappy Unanswered: Gotta be something WRONG!

Can anyone giveme a hint of how long I should expect 1/2 million records to copy over to another table in Oracle?

The data is coming from the same DB, on the same machine, utilizing the command prompt with an INSERT statement.

Machine is a 1ghz Server, 1GB of ram, LOTS of hard drive space...

About 3 hours running right now and still "frozen". This just seems ridiculous. The vendor says "that's just Oracle". I find it hard to believe. I'm not a formal dba, more of a joat(jack of all trades) that's responsibility includes looking after this server.

HELP!

REM7600

PS: e-mail would be great to rem7600@yahoo.com Otherwise I'll check back here when I can...

Check your session and see what is it doing also check the v$session_wait for your session id and see what it is waiting for. Did you increase the size of your log buffer before loading? How well is your IO tuned for your redo logs?

Question

uhhhhhh?

IO "tuned" to redo logs I'd say is SQUAT

As far as the other things... I have no idea how to monitor. Sorry for my ignorance... It's going on 5 hours now... Somethings NOT right and our vendors ahem.. have yet to "pull their head out of the sand" Looks like I'm going to need to get a lot more familiar with Oracle before this thing is over.

Any further instruction? Your help IS appreciated.

Thanks

REM7600

It should take seconds or minutes at worst (if you have large records). The only other reason it should be slow is if you have lobs in the table which may make the table data much larger (i.e. gigabytes).

I would suggest getting something like TOAD (free version on toadsoft.com or quest) which can monitor such things (use kill/trace session) if you are not a DBA.

Alan

Are other people able to use this database. For example, if the volumne containing the trace files is full, the database will freeze. If the location contains the archive logs is full, the database will freeze. If there are a lot of indexes on the file being inputed into, it will take forever. There could be a lot of reasons. But 5 hours for only 500,000 records is not right.
    Last edited by beilstwh; 10-05-04 at 10:57.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Is this still a problem? Lets take a look from the begining what are the following settings (log in as system and issues the following show parameter command)

show parameter buffer;
    select * from v$log;
    set pagesize 50; (no data just getting ready for what is comming up)
    spool c:\temp\sesswait.txt; saving data to file
    select * from v$session_wait;
    (wait a few seconds)
    (wait a few seconds)
    (wait a few seconds)
    spool off
    post contents of these (while the load is running)

Whoops have a db down due to user error post this and we can at least get started.