Unanswered: Checkbox on continuous form

I had a fairly simple concept in mind for a continuous subform, each of the continuous forms would contain a record and an unbound checkbox, when the user performs an action, that action would only affect the records where the user had checked the checkbox. Before I really got started on writing the code for this concept, I noticed that when viewing these continuous forms and attempting to check one of the boxes all of them would check. Does anyone know a workaround, or something I'm missing to make this concept work? Thanks for any help.

Jeremy Brooks
    PSIA-RM

I would make a small unbound text box and when users but their cursor in the box (OnClick) bring up a message box with the current record information and then have the user click YES or NO to perform an action on the record.

Bjorn

Someone out there must have done something like this in a form....Bjorn's idea would work, but the better usability would involve being able to "check" multiple records then perform one of several possible actions on all the checked records. The problem seems to me that each of the unbound check boxes on each individual form doesn't know itself from the other checkboxes, because they are all unbound.

Jeremy

You must keep the flag somewhere. You could use a local table if you are using backends and other users flag records on the form at the same time otherwise just add a yes/no column to the underlying table.

One solution could be to write the table's all unique record IDs to a local table before opening the form. The local table would have only 2 columns, the RecordID and a yes/no column. The form's underlying query would be a link between the original table and the new local table and the displayed yes/no column would reside in the local table. Then run the action on all checked IDs in the local table. Clean the checks after any action is done.

Bjorn

In the end, I settled on that strategy. I added the yes/no column to the underlying table, which is no big deal. I had hoped there was a way to do it without editing the table structure or adding dummy tables. Thanks for your help, everything works great.

Jeremy