Thread: Limits users

Unanswered: Limits users

Hi everyone,
    Just want to ask if MS access is able to limits the access of the users. I know for MS access 97, you are unable to limit the user. Can MS access XP limit the user? The limit I mean here is that for a certain user, you only give access for them to read but not edit. Can MS access XP do it?

Thanks for taking time to reply my question.

tblLogon

Hi,

I'm not working with XP yet, but we manipulate the rights by creating a logontable: each time somebody opens the application we get his username an write it to this table. Depending on the person, we limit the access to certain forms, tables etc.....

It's not really managing rights like with SQL-server, but it works fine in our company.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. But even you restrict them to some certain forms, they still are able to edit it right? What I want is to restrict them from editing. Which means they can read only. Can MS access XP do the restrictions?

set forms properties

They won't be able to edit if for this user, you set the forms property "allow edits", "allow additions"..... to false.

I know it's a bit of work to set, but I don't know a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron08
    Hi everyone,
    Just want to ask if MS access is able to limits the access of the users. I know for MS access 97, you are unable to limit the user. Can MS access XP limit the user? The limit I mean here is that for a certain user, you only give access for them to read but not edit. Can MS access XP do it?

Thanks for taking time to reply my question.
    Yes you can. You will need to create a workgroup file and users/groups. You can then assign permissions to groups to allow read/update/delete. So, for your example (and assuming the form uses a query as the record source) you could assign permissions for one group to update the data and another to only read it.

Hope that helps.

So this means that even MS access 97 can do the workgroup file?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron08
    So this means that even MS access 97 can do the workgroup file?
    Yes, most definitely, and it is a lot easier than reinventing the wheel and trying to write your own login/security

Could you show me how to write the workgroup? Just an example. Thanks

You can't write it as such. The first thing you need to do is create a workgroup file (using the Workgroup Administrator). Then either use this as the default workgroup file, or start Access with the following command line (my preferred choice):

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe" /wrkgrp "C:\Location of Workgroup File\YourWorkgroup.mdw"

Open your database then use the Security Wizard on the Tools, Security menu which will help you to create some basic security.

Read the help topic for this which will explain it in more detail, if you have any specific problems let us know and we'll help you with them.

where do you put this line?
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe" /wrkgrp "C:\Location of Workgroup File\YourWorkgroup.mdw"

I kind of blur with the security thing. Thanks for helping

Sorry, I didn't explain clearly enough. Create a new shortcut on your desktop and use this as the command line.

Sorry, I didn't explain clearly enough. Create a new shortcut on your desktop and use this as the command line.

Hmm...in this case, if different users using different computers, they will be unable to see the shortcut I created as it is inside my computer. Is there another way?

You will have to create the shortcut on each computer that will access the database. If you have windows 2000 (and XP I think), then create the shortcut in the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop" folder, which will make it available for all users on that PC.

I don't know of any other way, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Thanks for your help anyway. Could someone help me?? I need it urgently