Unanswered: Slow Connection with linked tables on server.

Hello all:

I have a split database on a server. With either the front-end run from the workstation on its hard drive or on the server, it takes about 15 or 20 seconds to get connected to the back-end tables and load. That's an incredibly long time. I've just installed the database there so there's no large amounts of data in the system. In fact, even when connecting to tables/queries from forms with NO data, it takes a long time. It seems, however, that once the connection is made the first time, it doesn't take as long to connect the next time during the same session.

I've checked to make sure it wasn't a super slow network by going into the back-end from a workstation and looking at the data. It loads at a reasonable speed. Can anyone help explain this situation and offer some potential solutions. I'd greatly appreciate it!
    DocX

The teachings of God's Begotten: 2 John 1:9

I have the same problem too, did you have etrust installed on the user computer? I need help too.

I had tried it on several different computers and, to the best of my knowledge, they did not have eTrust installed on them.
    DocX

i really need help too. How did you check the network speed? Thanks

The only thing I did was check to compare how fast the forms loaded to how fast the table loaded that that same form was bound to.
    DocX

I test two computers, one has etrust (anti virus) installend on it, one donesn't has, the second one run faster. But i am not sure what the problem is. Hope somebody has experience on this problem. We are waiting.

Just idea but I am on you already thought of it, but compress your db can help. Sometimes on our network we have this problem when our users send many print file on the server.
    idea reboot the server....

this is a very known problem with fe/be access databases. the prtoblem is each time you open a bound form, access tries to establish a connection to BE.

my first suggestion is keep network path short. like K:\be.mdb instead of K:\foldername\anotherfoldername\back_end.mdb.
    for further reading:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...874531033.aspx
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/perf...ldblocking.htm
    ghozy.

Well, if there was any data at all in the database I would consider this a possibility. But there's nothing in all the tables except one and they're all having the same problems. I could try rebooting the server, but I'm not sure that would help anything. . . .
    DocX

Try
    1 compact and repair the table database
    2-Leave the table database opened on the server

Thanks, ghozy! This seems to be exactly what I need.

I have a question concerning this subject. I use a mixture of bound subforms and unbound forms. I use ADO to add records using the unbound forms. Is there any foreseeable problem using ADO on a server? Will it have to create a connection each time the "Save" button is pressed and then close it, only to repeat each time the Save button is pressed? Or will it use the same connection created and maintained in the method that's outlined in those links? I'm hoping it may use the active connection since I do use the

CurrentProject.ActiveConnection.

Whaddaya think?
    DocX

it should use active connection. the problem is if there is no active bound form open, access will close the connection for the sake of saving system resources. therefore one suggestion is always keep open a hidden form that bound to a dumy table in the BE database. as long as you keep this hidden form open, access will retain connection to BE. at least this is what I understand from articles.

there are other suggestions like keeping unchanging tables in FE instead of BE. probably like city names tables, zip code tables, color type tables, etc.
    ghozy.

Thanks, once again, ghozy!
    DocX