Unanswered: Can we show a multi-select drop down list in validation?

Hi

Is there a way to show a multi-select drop down list in validation ?

I have some values in some named range say TEST and when the user sees the list, I want him to be able to select more than one from the list (Separated by comma perhaps ?)
    So suppose there are values like a b c d e in the TEST range,
    the user may select b,c,e (by holding down the ctrl key as usual for multi-selection)

Is this possible in excel ?

I tried using the drop down combo box, I could not find any property related to multi select.

Regards,

Parag

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi

I think you will have to use a list control for multi-select functionality, Combo/Droplist do seem to have this option.

MTB

Are you talking about using the ComboBox on the Control toolbar, or UserForm within VBA?
    Last edited by shades; 10-06-04 at 15:42.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Hello,

None of the combobox controls (I tried control tool box as well as forms control tool) seem to work for multi-selection (Or at least I could not figure out how to)

I will explain my requirement with more details.
    I have a "Parameters" sheet, in which I have some lists.
    In my Main sheet for some cell, I want the user to be able to select mutliple values from some list defined in the parameters sheet.

For example I have a list of fruits in parameter sheet named as "Fruits" containing elements like "Apple", "Banana", "Kiwi", "Oranges" and so on.
    I want to show a drop down showing the fruits on some cell on the Main sheet. The user should be allowed to select multiple fruits from the list.

Is this possible in excel in whichever ways ? I tried combo box (es) as well as validation using a list but could not figure out how to do that.
    Or is there any third party control available to do this ?

regards,

Parag

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi

I have only found multiple select properties in list controls, never in combo/droplist controls. This applies to forms toolbar controls, control toolbox toolbar controls and VBA forms controls. I’ve not looked at VB6 for some time, so could not say at this moment on that score.

MTB

I think you have to do that using VBA and UserForms. This is one area in which I am beginning work myself (having revised a few projects for other platforms, namely Macs. This site is the best for VBA solutions.

http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/]VBA Express
    Last edited by shades; 10-07-04 at 11:10.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

BTW, I was just reading Dick K's blog on Excel, and his focus is related to this. Check it out:

Dick Kusleika