Unanswered: Coming from Sybase

Coming from Sybase env. I would like to know the equivalent of sp_showplan. What it does is, it shows the showplan for the query being run by spid, which is passed as a parameter to sp_showplan.

Thanks for your help.

Provided Answers: 54
    I think that SET SHOWPLAN_TEXT is about a close as you are going to get. The SQL Profiler allows you to get plan information as the SQL is submitted to the server, but I don't know of any way to retroactively see the plan generated by another spid even if you are a member of the sysadmin group (Microsoft's equivalent to Sybase's sa).

-PatP

In that case, how would you check the performance issue with a third party front end application running on MS SQL Server. Only thing you know is SPID with which the application is running - either a report or a batch job. I tried SQL profiler, but couldn't get anything in the output. I might be missing something.

Appreciate all your help.

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 54
    When you set up the trace file, under the Performance class add one of the Show Plan events. Tracing those events will show you many times more than what sp_showplan could.

-PatP