Unanswered: sqlserver 6.5 Error 10004 [DB-Library]

Help!

I am running sqlserver 6.5 and I trying to copy over one db into another, it goes thru the scripting and then it gives me the error message Error 10004 [DB-Library] unable to connect. How can I resolve this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Provided Answers: 54
    I'd just use DUMP and RESTORE.

-PatP

Thanks for the reply, is there anyway to troubleshoot this? Thanks.

Troubleshoot the DUMP and RESTORE process ? There is so little to go wrong that I've never given it much thought (unless you run out of disk space, but that's usually pretty obvious).

-PatP

cheeky is the only thing that come to mind....

6.5? Lord (wo)man...what did you do wrong?

How is the blue screen of death these days?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

MS-SQL 6.5 was a great tool in its day. So was the 1957 Chevy. Today, both have "classic" or "vintage" status, but very little production usage. I'd strongly recommend you move up two full generations to SQL-2000... I'm pretty comfortable that you'll be really glad that you did.

I still remember the old SQL tools, but the new ones are SO much better that I don't ever use the old ones.

-PatP

I have to caution that just taking a 6.5 db and throwing it through 7.0 wizard and then moving it to 2K may result in you looking for another job, because 2K will die attempting to process some queries. Make sure you plan out the testing of the app before following anyone's advice here.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

I agree wholeheartedly that you need to allow for considerable testing, and you might need to rewrite some queries (I don't accept that as a given, but it certainly is possible).

Other than a few cases where syntax was obsoleted due to either structural or syntactic changes, I can't think of any SQL Query that MS-SQL 6.5 could process that SQL-2000 could not. I'd be very interested in knowing more about those, even though I don't have any machines still running 6.5 or 4.21 any more.

-PatP

How about 4.2a?

Real life case: The entire app was written in 6.5 (statistical analysis of premium rates) using dynamic SQL and the longest running query was taking around 45 minutes to complete.

After attempting to convert to 7.0 in search for performance improvement (# of CPU's remained at 4 while speed doubled from 800 to 1.6GHz, memory doubled from 1GB to 2GB, 2 RAID-5 with data and log on separate arrays) that query had to be terminated after 24 hours. Opening PSS case did not help. Recommendation was to rewrite the app or put IO on the SAN.

Another shot was given when 2K came out. Configuration stayed the same except for memory doubled, CPU speed went up to 2GHz, and IO went to SAN (EMC). That query actually completed after a little over 16 hours. Again, it was IO-bound, no matter how SAN was sliced.

Interesting observations... I've only migrated a couple of hundred systems, and while a few of them needed minor overhaul the bulk of them actually improved performance significantly simply as a result of the upgrade.

One thing that I should note is that if your application still used DB-Library calls, performance would go down a rat hole. The programs really need to be recompiled using current libraries in the backward compatibility mode.

-PatP

i have found, recently in a consult last month that installing a named instance of 2k and scripting the database to 2k while leaving the orig 6.5 on the same machine disabled was sufficient to test the db. as long as you have storage space for that kind of endeavor, it's pretty cool. unfortunately very few companies have 800GB of space just laying around.

That depends on whether you used the default or LARGE DB-library!

A few handred? And that's it? So how many (discounting PUBS please)?