Unanswered: Pro*C: where col in (:c_array) ?

Hello,
    I want to do something seemingly simple in my Pro*C code:

Code:
    select *
    from some_table
    where some_col in (:c_array);
    Is that possible? It seems like it should be since it seems like it would be a fairly common operation.

Thanks for the help.

No.

From the pro*c manual:
    "Using Arrays in SQL Statements
    You can use host arrays as input variables in the INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE statements and as output variables in the INTO clause of SELECT and FETCH statements."

The problem is that each array value could result in zero to N rows being returned. Therefore, oracle cannot tell you which returned row(s) belong to which input value, so they just made the whole thing illegal.
    Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Club him over the head with a fish, he'll leave you alone.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't understand why one would care which array values resulted in which rows returned. Admittedly, I'm very inexperienced with this stuff though.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish my goal? (Which is I want to select all rows from a table where a column in each row matches up to any element in a c array).

Thanks.

It's been a long time since I've done pro*c (I don't even have a c compiler anymore), so the first one is just a wild guess.

change the where clause to a subquery:
    select *
    from some_table
    where some_col in (select :c_array from dual);

if that doesn't work (I wouldn't be surprised), you can use a temp table and make it a 2 step process:
    insert into temp_table(col) values(:c_array);

select *
    from some_table
    where some_col in (select col from temp_table);
    Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Club him over the head with a fish, he'll leave you alone.