Unanswered: Insert conundrum

I'm trying to run a query from an .asp page, adding records to a table in SQL 7. Now I created this table in Access and moved it over to SQL 7. There's a Counter field and a Date/time field that auto-number and auto-date. However, when I fill out the web form and hit submit I get a

Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'Counter', table 'whatever'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

If I change properties in SQL 7 to allow nulls, I can add records but it will not
    autonumber. Moreover, no date happens either.

No... neither counter nor the date/time filed are stipulated in the Insert statement. The example I used in creating the SQL statement manages the task in another database without any mention of these fields... you get autonumbering and a date. I simply am at the end of my rope trying to figure out what the problem is.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the clueless newb question.

San Antonio, TX
    You need to change IDENTITY property for the former AUTONUMBER field (right-mouse click on the table and go to design). And while you're in Table Design, go to DEFAULT property of your date/time field and put either GETDATE() or CURRENT_TIMESTAMP for the default value. No code changes required.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Thank you very much. It's working. Yay.