Unanswered: COLD back up....HOW CAN I RESTORE

Hello all,

I am a senior level support rep for a software company who is NOT an Oracle DBA, however one of my clients have sent me a COLD back up of their database. How can I restore that into a NEW Oracle Database server. Both me and the client are working with Oracle 9i Database servers (namely 9.2). Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Always
    Awildes

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    It depends.
    What OS & OS version? (You need to MATCH; both client & you!)
    In theory no "database restore" is needed (assuming clean DB shutdown prior to cold backup).
    Just get the files back onto disk in the EXACT same pathname for every file & open the DB.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Hmm okay...i placed them in the Oradata\<dbname> folder...however when I try to open or Mount the database I get an error with the control file...I assume the parameters are off..or am I way off on that? Thanks for your response, I have been searching the net for an answer till I just decided to ask the forum.

Also restoring to WIndows OS... in my case...Windows 2003 or XP i have Oracle Server on both.. I believe theirs is either a UNIX box or a Windows 2000 box..I am not sure..but do the OS's have to much...if they are both WIndows?

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Hmm okay...i placed them in the Oradata\<dbname> folder
    Oracle depends upon more files than just the "data files" which typically reside under "oradata"; as you are discovering.
    You should have paid somebody who knew Oracle to bring up your copy of the DB; 'cuz Oracle is slightly more complex than ACCESS & such.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Hi,

If you are both on identical OS's, probably the quickest and simplest way for you is to use the standard Oracle installer to create yourself a 'Starter Database'. Ask your client for a 'Full' database export (do a google for Oracle exp.exe). On your system run a 'Full' import - yes, you've guessed it... google for Oracle imp.exe. Hint, when googling you will need the exp/imp parameter FULL=Y while connected as SYS.

This is far from ideal - and I wouldn't recommend it for production instances, but if you are using this database purely for support it should suffice.

That is by far the simplest from your point of view, there are quicker options. When you create the starter database - ensure you use exactly the same file structure, global database name (sid included) etc. This means even down to the driver letters, spaces etc. Once the database is created, shut it down (on windows stop the service), now copy the files from the cold backup into the precisely same location and then restart the instance (start the service).

Assuming you have duplicated the file structure exactly, the database should come up. This is in fact how I move Oracle databases backwards and forwards between my laptop and proper (ish) server when I'm going mobile.

If you're still stuck, ask back here. Can't guarantee to help, but can guarantee the usual level of acidic responses from the usual culprit(s) :-)

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Steps

1. Install the same Oracle databse version with the starter database.
    2. Copy all control files, datafiles to oradata directory
    3. Copy init.ora filr to ADMIN folder
    4. Revise the init.ora file for the changed control file, archive and dump locations. (keep instance, SID, and global db name the same)
    5. Create the instance by running oradim with the pfile(init.ora) location
    6. Connect to DB using internal and mount it.
    6. Check existing data and logfile locations by typing
    SELECT name FROM V$DATAFILE;
    SELECT member FROM V$LOGFILE;
    7. Now change the file locations that come up above by using

ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE <old file loc list> to <new file loc list>;
    8. After renaming them open the database by alter database open;
    And you should be set.