what do you think, a little help nedded here

hi all,

hopefully this is the right place to post this...

i am planning to sell of my old system and thinking of buying a new one...

so far i have found out that dell is the cheapest.....

this is what i am planning to buy....

8400 Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 530 with HT Technology 3.0GHz, 1 MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB)
    Intel® 925X Chipset
    Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
    1Yr Limited Warranty with Next Business Day Onsite Service
    1GB(2x512) NECC Dual Channel DDR2 533Mhz SDRAM Memory
    128MB PCIe™ x16 ATI Radeon™ X300 SE w/TV-Out & DVI (i think they mean the 9800XT series, is it any better then the 9600SE one??)
    Dell™ Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse
    17" Flat Panel LCD Monitor
    160GB SATA (7200RPM) Hard Drive
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional (English)
    DVD+RW/+R With CDRW Combo Drive
    Sound Blaster® AudigyTM 2 Sound Card
    Dell™ A425 stereo speakers with subwoofer (Australia)
    56K PCI Data/Fax Modem
    + some other software and dial up connection package and standard warranties.....

they are ready to throw in the 5.1 surround, floppy drive and a extra optical drive for a discounted price as well...

now here is what i am asking your opinions on:

what do you guys think.. is this alright??? do i need to add anything else in there? i am already way past my budget and can spare another 50-100 dollars...

are dell systems any good... ?i do not wish to spend lots of money and then find out that i might have been ripped off . really really confused about this....

has anyone had any experience with them? particularly dell australia??

PC System

Last year I would have said, yes go for Dell. Now that they have changed the connector to the power supply I am not so sure. We have them at the hospital were I work (hundreds literally). The only problem I have seen is with the new connector, and to be fair it was sorted out by replacing the lead. The trouble is if you have only one PC those leads are not going to be so easy to get hold of.

Apart from that Dell has an excellent name.

hi everyone,

thanks for your reply ryker.... just wanted to make a small update... instead of going for the X300 series.. i am opting for the X800 one... dell is giving me a pretty good deal on it... and i am also opting for the ultra sharp 17"in instead of the normal one.

any comments?? suggestions??? should i go ahead????

Yes, Dell used to be great. I don't know if its just their laptops... but my laptop's Hard Drive crapped out on me and other people have been having problems as well.
    Its really hard to say "this is a good system.. or this is a bad system" until I know what you're going to be doing with it.
    Its always surprising to see people add on the features and gadgets when they don't know what they are/do. So they end up paying more money and never use the system to the best of its ability.
    If you're doing business and just checking email and playing games on it, I'd say that computer is sufficient. If you're like me and doing video editing, producing 3D animations, and have audio editing/layering/emulating/synthesizing software... you might need some more junk on your system.
    Write back soon and list all of the possible uses you can think of that you'd be using your computer for.
    Otherwise, in short (if I don't hear from you), it sounds like a good system and you'd be quite happy with it.
    Once you get your computer, get protected! (virus, anti-adware, etc..)!
    Hope that helps :-)

well.. i will basically be using the PC for both games and work and studies.. but more for play and study ..... next sem i am planning to take some animation/image editing subject.. might be useful there...

well dell is giving me this 90 day norton trial.. will buy the full version when that runs out

just a small alternative, this company isn't that well known (to my knowledge), but they rovide some pretty good deals.

www.worldofcomputers.uk.com

well they seem to be located in UK and i am in australia .. so i guess that could be a bit of problem

They'll ship to anywhere i'd imagine. I would send them an email just to make sure.

Ah the joys of international trade...

Dell, based in the U.S, is also in the U.K. Prices tend to be a lot cheaper in the U.S. (from what I've experienced living in the U.S. and have lived in the U.K. for a few months). However, costs go up a bit in shipping them to other countries. And yes, they do ship to other countries. Dell is a very well known and professional company. Their customer support is excellent. You'll enjoy filling out the "ship to other country" section where they ask you, "Will this computer be used for the production of nuclear of chemical weapons?" lol. Seriously... (and who would check 'yes' ?) hehe