Angry Unanswered: can you scan data into combo box,or make a selection?

Here I come again.
    If I had two populated combo boxes, one of them has product code and other product types/product list and wanted to scan the product code.Is it possible to scan a product code(barcode) and would that select the product code from the list if it is there,would that be the same as If I manually selected that product code,but I am just scanning it.

I am trying to let customers that have a scanner to scan the product which populates the product type according to product code scanned.,for example if I scan Victoria that selects Melbourne,if that is possible I should be fine.

But I also have to be able to let customers that don't have a scanner to select the product from the product list,which means if they have a scanner I cross reference the product code=product type if not then show all the products in the list and that is where my idea falls apart as at this point in time I am not sure how to populate all the products if no product code exists.

The list of products and codes is huge....

The theory that you have suggested will work.

You should be able to use a bar code scanner to scan into anything from my understanding.

The changing of the data displayed based on the product code could be interesting. If this going to be on the same page or on a seperate page? If you are doing it on the same page you would need to return all the database and then filter it using javascript to achieve what you want (assuming I understand you correctly).

I already have the code for doing that,that is the reason I am going that way and it is quite simple, there are more sophisticated solutions,but as long as it works, I will worry about sophistication when I am better at this.

It is going to be on the same page,together will all the other fields they have to enter in order to submit.

It is how to be able to populate absolutely all products when scanner is not an input device that is my question at the moment?????
    Last edited by zobernjik; 10-12-04 at 03:24.

well how are you populating when they have selected a product type?? surely you are doing some sort of comparing to see if the product should be listed, just do a comparision that makes all of them return.

Once again, if you post your code we can have a look at it.