Question Unanswered: Access 2000 security (specific request)

Hi there -
    I got a few requests from my manager to secure an Access 2000 database, with 7 users, located on a shared network drive.

It's a very large database, with 10 tables and 203 records in each. Users are required to add, delete and update information; which they do through forms I have created. (I've made the forms searchable for ease of use)

My manager wants the database to open for each user as "read-only" automatically. When a user wants to edit information, they click an "unlock" button at the top of a form. At this point, they should be able to edit the information, then "re-lock" the data.
    I've done some research, and don't see how this is possible. He doesn't want the database to be password-protected, since he assumes people will forget their login information.
    (I've heard of securing a database from unwanted users, but not securing data from the people who are supposed to update the information!)

Another request is to take all information from each of the 10 tables, and amalgamate it into ONE form, rather than 10 seperate. I figure there's a way to do this - perhaps by appending the information?

Thanks for any help you can give. If you need more info, just let me know.
    Thank you!

- J

New Manager?

First thing I'd suggest is get a new manager. He's looking at the problem from the wrong perspective. If users are certain to forget their passwords they shouldn't be using the database.

As for the form being read only. Each form has a number of properties under the Data tab on Form Properties. Set things like DataEntry to False (or No if you're using design view). The same with AllowEdits, AllowDeletions. These can all be reset from a button click to allow the user to edit data shown in a form.

As for showing the contents of ten tables in one form. Does he want all the information? A subset of the info filtered? Does the information in one table need to relate to the info in another table?

There are all sorts of approaches to this and which one you take depends on the user requirements.

Thanks for your reply!

I followed your advice re: changing the form properties to not allow edits, deletions etc. Works perfectly.

These can all be reset from a button click to allow the user to edit data shown in a form.
    I can't seem to find out how to do this. (I'm an amateur when it comes to VB form controls) Do you know where I can find a "reset" code, or perhaps you have one handy?

As for showing the contents of ten tables in one form. Does he want all the information?
    Yep. And the tables aren't small. There are between 10-20 columns of data in each of the tables.

Does the information in one table need to relate to the info in another table?
    To make sure I say this right, I'll give you a very brief overview of the database I'm working on. There are 203 companies listed, with all unique names and entries, using an ID# as the primary key in each table. All tables are split by different information relating to the companies; such as addresses, employees, funding information etc. There are 10 tables in total.

When my manager says he wants all the company information viewable on one form, I'm unsure how to do this since the information listed will be pulled from, and edited to, different tables in the database. Is it possible to update multiple tables from one form?

I hope this was clear. And thanks again for your reply!
    - J