Unanswered: Very slow leaving page displaying spreadsheet

Hi, all,

I have an ASP page, loading the spreadsheet (OWC 11) with data from the recordsets (I used CopyFromRecordSet). The spreadshett can contains large amount of rows (thousands) depending on users' entries.

When I hit <Back> or simply try to go to another page, it takes a very long time to go anywhere, and the CPU usage is 100%. It seems to me, when I try to go somewhere, something is actually happening with the spreadsheet?!

Even though, this is an ASP page, the part of loading the spreadsheet has been on the client side using the VBScript.

Please help!

well in that case yes, something is happening on the client side. If you are loading the excel spreadsheet on the client side when you move on the client must free all the resources that it used for loading the spreadsheet (which could take a while as you hav said there can be thousands of rows in the spreadsheet).

I suspect that without either limiting the rows or loading via a server side script you will have this problem, but as I haven't used this method much before perhaps someone else can help....

The more I look into it, it seems to me the spreadsheet is not fit for showing thousands of rows at a time. That might be the cause of it.
    I just need a way to show all these large amount of recordset data on the page. And I am using the classic ASP, so DataGrid is not available. Is there something similar to the grid, and better than the good old <Table> that I can use?

Thanks

Well your basic table can be extended considerably using javascript but unless you want to use some sort of OCX you are basically stuck.

What actions did you want to be able to do with the table?

I've tried using <TABLE>, which is okay in terms of look and speed, and I used <DIV> with CSS to give it a fixed dimension, even though, the table will most likely much longer and wider, and I will have scroll bars on both sides to make it look better.
    But, I am also still experimenting with the OWC spreadsheet, which gives me all the functions that an Excel spreadsheet provides and it even allows me to export to Excel with one click, which I think, my user will need.
    This time with spreadsheet, instead of loading possibly thousands of rows in one run, I am limiting 1000 rows at a time, and give users options to go to <Next> or <Previous> pages.
    And of course, I am still playing with this. I am having problem doing copyFromRecordset the second time to load the next batch of rows. It sill loads the first 1000 rows.
    Last edited by rweide; 10-14-04 at 09:18.

Hmmm, sounds like a pretty good option. I haven't used that method before but it sounds okie. Good luck and give us a yell if we can help more.