Unanswered: converting .xls to tab delimited

hey guys.
    i am in the process of importing clean tab delimited(txt) data files into a access but everytime i save the data in excel from .xls format i always get an error saying that some data might be lost or all will not be saved..what are the error constraints when saving as a tab delimited? When i view the imported .xls file in access after import there are little boxes after a street address ...are those tabs? if so how do i get rid of them instead of going into h cell and pressing backspace..What do i have to check for so that all the data is to be saved in tab delimited and what is the best way to go about doing it? should i use some txt editor? when export the .xls file out of access as a tab delimited some of the data gerts moved around or shifted into a diff cell and some data is lost as well. thank guys

Quote Originally Posted by inho78
    hey guys.
    i am in the process of importing clean tab delimited(txt) data files into a access but everytime i save the data in excel from .xls format i always get an error saying that some data might be lost or all will not be saved..what are the error constraints when saving as a tab delimited? When i view the imported .xls file in access after import there are little boxes after a street address ...are those tabs? if so how do i get rid of them instead of going into h cell and pressing backspace..What do i have to check for so that all the data is to be saved in tab delimited and what is the best way to go about doing it? should i use some txt editor? when export the .xls file out of access as a tab delimited some of the data gerts moved around or shifted into a diff cell and some data is lost as well. thank guys
    Unfortunately Excel doesn't give a hint as to what will be lost. Obviously any formatting and formulas will be lost. And it will only save the active worksheet, thus any other worksheets in the workbook will be lost.

Perhaps a way to check is to work on a backup copy (always a wise thing to do), and save it as tab delimited(txt), and see what results.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums