Unanswered: Oracle 9i Application Server..is it the right software?

I will admit that I am completely over my head but here is my problem..

We currently have a SQLserver database where 8 data entry individuals create and edit records using Access forms and subforms. Our plan is to convert over to Oracle. We recently purchased a Sun SPARCStation preloaded with Solaris 9. I was handed a set of discs containing Oracle 9i Application Server Release 1.0.2.2.1 and told to install it.

As I am doing some research to figure out how to go about doing this, I am beginning to think this may not be the "right" application for our needs. Does anyone have any recommendation of what would be the best product and some ideas on how to get started.

Thank You

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Oracle 9i Application Server Release 1.0.2.2.1 and told to install it.
    This version of the s/w is old & BUGGY; badly BUGGY!
    I strongly suggest that spend a few days/weeks RTFM before poking at OUI
    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...4_01/index.htm
    When you are ready for the actual installation accept ALL the defaults & it might work when you are done.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Matter of fact, if it is a new installation of oracle, I would go with Oracle 10g and the 10g application server which I have been told is MUCH more stable. Why go with a version that is scheduled to be de-supported in the next year. Go to

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/index.html#db

to download the current release of the database and application server.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction,

I am in the process of downloading the new version (10g version 10.1.0.2 for SPARC, 64 bit), and have begun my reading. I know I have a TON to learn but hopefully I'll get there someday or I'll get fired (which ever comes first).

Quote Originally Posted by zagor
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction,

I am in the process of downloading the new version (10g version 10.1.0.2 for SPARC, 64 bit), and have begun my reading. I know I have a TON to learn but hopefully I'll get there someday or I'll get fired (which ever comes first).
    Just one point. THe oracle database and application server software is only free if you are evaluating or learning oracle. If you want to use it for production, you must purchase a license for both products.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh
    Just one point. THe oracle database and application server software is only free if you are evaluating or learning oracle. If you want to use it for production, you must purchase a license for both products.

Yes, I am aware of that, I am a contractor currently employed by the Air Force which already has a license agreement in place with oracle.

What about the database? You mention "Our plan is to convert over to Oracle", does that mean SQLServer will be replaced with an Oracle database? If so, I would look at Oracle's HTMLDB - which comes with Oracle 10g Database. HTMLDB is very similar in concept to Access (tables, queries, forms, reports, procedures, etc) but it is 100% web based. It is easy to learn, and I even remember seeing a link on OTN about converting Access apps to HTMLDB. License wise, all you would need is the database - forget the app server.
    Last edited by skempins; 10-13-04 at 19:53. Reason: clarified last sentence

Hi,

In response to your first post, I would be inclined to say yes you're right to be asking, "Application Server - a replacement for Access?" - you should be looking at Oracle 9i *Database* (not Appserver <n>, Forms <n>, Developer <n> or whatever).

Contrary to other advice I would also suggest that you (for the moment) go with 9i database. Oracle has released 10g database, but simple as this, they were still releasing security and stability fixes for 9i many years after it was released. Go and check the 8i or 9i release history to see examples of this.

It is not that Oracle is particularly buggy (it's not, it is a stable database), it is just that as with all software, someone has to sit on the "bleeding" edge. As by your own admission, you are not an Oracle person, I would suggest you save yourself the extra issues and go with last most mature, stable version ... 9i.

(Anyone remember the 'can't break it' advertising slogan when 9 point zero was released, the same version that we all now laugh at?

Incidentally, I've been on sites in the past 18 months who are still running version 7 - and we're talking about big multi nationals too.

Go with the latest 9i database. Spend a lot of time learnig and reading, imaybe after your own learning and prep time employ a proper Oracle guy to go over what have you done, but most of all, be sure you have it right before migrating.

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Once again I thank all of you for your very valuable input.

So it sounds like the 'database' is what I should focus on primarily. Yes, the plan is to completely replace SQLServer. We would like to retain the MSAccess forms and subforms that are currently being used if this is possible. A local oracle expert told me that it was not possible and that I should focus on 'Portal' and basically recreate the forms in java. That would be a fair amount of added work. The current database is fairly small (about 15000 records) consisting of about a dozen tables. I am trying to find the simplest approach. The good news is that there is no firm date and I basically have all the time I need to get this done.