Lightbulb Unanswered: Access Security ??

Heya,

I am curious to know if anyone is aware of a good resource I can read up on available security configurations for Access 2002?

For the heck of it, I'll throw in my scenario:

Corporate client, many fileservers, lots of novell security paperwork flying around here...

I have a database on one server (\\SRV1\SYS1\CONTRACTS\DB.MDB, for example). About thirty people work with it.

This db houses information that another department (who log into a different context) would like to have read access to. (they only need to view the data, not change it).

I have created another DB on \\SRV1\SYS1\NEWDB\NEWDB.MDB with read only versions of the original forms and linked the tables to the origin db.

It appears I still have to provide the new users with FULL access to the original database location (where the tables are)! Or, at least, that is how it appears!

Any suggestions on how I can share data without granting full access to the DB?

Muchos graciolas,

Mitch

I don't think you need NEWDB.mdb. What you need is a properly crafted app that will handle all this. There are many interesting articles on access security. Check the Micro Soft's web site. Also search in the forum and you'll get tons of links.

I may be able to help you more if you can explain your situation in more detail.