Unhappy Unanswered: Using a scanning wand

Hi all, I was just wondering if it is possible to use a scanning wand in conjunction with Microsoft Access so that when I open a form, I can then scan one of our product's barcode and this then matches up with a barcode stored in my table. Also if this is possible can someone direct me to a site that tells me how its possible. Thanks

Yes, you should be able to use ANY scanner so long as it is a "keyboard wedge" interface. This means the scanner basically keys in the data and to the PC is nothing more than a keyboard. It would work with everything since all applications accept keyboard input <grin>.

Most scanners also allow you to program the characters that are submitted to the interface before and after the scan data. So, you could do something like this:

<scan data><CRLF>

or

<scan data><TAB>

etc and so forth...

You can find some here:

http://www.posworld.com

Question

I have one of those scanning wands, it is linked up with the keyboard. My next question seeing it can be done is really how.

I have my main table with: Id (these are barcode numbers), Item Description and Quantity on Hand.

For beginners all I need to proceed is a form that has a text box where i can scan a barcode and the numbers are displayed in the text box, and then ask for the related record with the description and quantity on hand to be displayed in 2 other text boxes. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, just not sure how to go about it.

Well,

I am pretty new to this, but I'll take at stab at saying the "approach" I would assume you might take.

I would think you would want to set the text box that receives the barcode data so that its OnChange Event Property would trigger a query that uses the inputted barcode to look up the related descrip and on hand values. Then the trick would be to fill the other two boxes with the values from the query.

Maybe you knew this already

I am toying with it to see if I can get it working....

Will let you know.