Unanswered: table partitions

I want to load a lot of historical data on to a 9i database. This data will not be used by the front end applications on a day to day bases but will be used for reporting, and occasional querying.

We are about to migrate a lot of data from a mainframe system in to an Oracle 9i DB.

This data will not be used by the front end applications on a day to day bases but will be used for reporting, and occasional querying.

We have an output file from the mainframe that mirrors one of our tables (table A).

Would it be better to load the historical information into table A then partition the table OR
    Create a mirror of table A called table B, load the historical data into table B, then create a view of table A and B?

I would partition the table first, then load the data into it, then create the appropriate local/global indexes on it. It is important to use the right partitioning criteria so read up about the various types of partitioing and also local/global indexes.

Dont create multiple tables and then a view to union them as it is not as efficient and lacks the ease of use of partitioning. Also dont load the table and then partition it as it just complicates things aswell as taking longer.

Alan

I agree with Alan. Create the table with the partitions you want first.

Either load the table using sqlloader or point to the file itself and select from it.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...