Unanswered: Message to end users

Hi friends,

Ive to send a message for each end-user logged into a page. Ive been thinking to open a popup page on their machine when a next event is made by the user, I mean to check if a global variable is true on each event and if so this popup is opened showing the necessary message.

Do you have any idea to make it? I appreciate so much any one.

Thanks and Regards,
    Alex Berenguer
    Last edited by aberenguer; 10-13-04 at 11:40. Reason: I missed the question.
    Alex Berenguer

The biggest issue you are going to have using pop-ups is if the browser blocks pop-ups(which is becoming more common). One idea I've seen a few sites do is have a little icon that shows up at the top of the page when there is a message to show the user. The user clicks on it to go to a messaging section to read, send, or reply to messages.

When you say a global variable I assume you mean an application variable.... the problem with this is that you don't know when to reset it. What you really need is rather then a boolean value saying there is a new event, have a numeric value. Store a copy of this value in their session variables when they log in and then if their session variable does not match the application variable get all the events from their number to the current one.

Should work a bit better.

Lightbulb

First of all thank you for your answers guys.

DMWCincy, you are right, blocker pop-ups is becoming more commom each day but the page will work in a local network and its supposed to be less commom something like that, anyway of course that its not impossible... you said about an icon and the first doubt I had is about how can it checks if there is new message... it could be a fantastic solution, if you remember where you have seen it, please let me know.

rokslide, I got it... ok, Ill look for it, thanks!

One more way Ive looked for was using 'net send' as a way to send message for a specific user. I could use the SQL Server to execute a command line and them sending a message with it getting the machine name as parameter.. what you guys feel?

Cheers,
    Alex Berenguer
    Alex Berenguer

I guess Net send would work if you had the right permissions and could get the required information. I don't know that you would need to use SQL Server to execute the command though. In theory you could use WShell, something like...
    Code:
    Dim WshSHell
    set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WshShell.Run("net send machinename message")
    Last edited by rokslide; 10-16-04 at 20:48.

Arrow

rokslide, thank you so much. Ill check it, however, I dont know if the Operation System (W2k Server) or its security allows WshShell to execute any file... Ill try it.

I appreciate so much different ideas about the issue friends!

THanks,
    "...and lets keep a nice day."
    Alex Berenguer
    Alex Berenguer

Yeah, security is going to be an issue no matter what method you use unless you do the entire thing using global variables and some sort of popup window or iframe or something...

Smile

Thats great, thank you so much rokslide. Ill go ahead with it.

Cheers,
    Alex Berenguer