Unhappy Unanswered: select number of rows

hi all

I need to select the max 5 vlaues of field1 from table1

thanx

select field1 from (select field1 from table1 order by field1 desc) where rownum<=5
    Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Club him over the head with a fish, he'll leave you alone.

Quote Originally Posted by shoblock
    select field1 from (select field1 from table1 order by field1 desc) where rownum<=5
    This will work if you want the top five value, even if they are the same. (5,5,5,4,3,2,1) -> 5,5,5,4,3
    or if you want the top 5 unique values (5,5,5,4,3,2,1) -> 5,4,3,2,1
    then do the following

select field1 from (select distinct field1 from table1 order by field1 desc) where rownum<=5
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Wow,

Purely from instinct, I was going to say that SQL looks incredibly inefficient. So I just tried it on a PK'd column and am highly impressed with the result.

The CBO deduced that we wanted the top five values from an "INDEX FAST FULL SCAN" but I was half expecting it to FULL TABLE SCAN followed by a SORT.

Got to go away and marvel at the guys who wrote the CBO.

Cheers
    Bill - still obsessed with performance :-)
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.