Murfreesboro (Nashville area), Tennseess USA

Smile Unanswered: Barcode scanners and Access?

I'm wondering if anyone out there is using a bar-code scanner tied to (for example) and notebook PC to capture data for an Access database?

If so, I'm wondering what problems you've encountered if any?

What I'm thinking about is for a user to be able to scan a product's barcode using a hand-held scanner connected to, for example, a laptop or notebook PC. This would then prompt Access to open a worksheet/form (or many nested forms based on subsequent inputs) for the user to fill in and capture specific data we are looking for. All of this would then be tied to the individual product (based on the bar-code) which we would then download into a master database for analysis.

If anyone has any experience with something like this I'd appreciate any throughts you might have. Thanks!

Florida, US
    in my experience with barcode scanners, those gadgets usualy capture serial code and write it into the textbox that has focus in Access or in any any other software. you can even capture and print barcodes into windows notepad.
    but I'm sure there are other ways to integrate barcode scanners internally into your software.
    Last edited by ghozy; 10-14-04 at 15:00. Reason: addition

MN US
    I recently built an inventory system using barcodes/scanners. It took some creative thinking but turned out to be very successful. Nearly hands-free. As Ghozy mentioned, the scanner (we used USB devices) inputs the text value into a textbox, then using an AfterUpdate Event, the record gets processed.
    That's very simplified, but I think you get the idea. I thought we would run into unanticipated problems, but never did.

I'd be happy to give you hardware recommendations as we're very satisfied with the equipment we purchased.

You may want to consider another post regarding the laptop/notebook synch.