Question Unanswered: DAO Indices and C#

Hello Peeps

There's a whole history to this problem involving internal resourcing and so forth (we have n many c# developers and n many vb6 developers), Company strategy and all that jazz. Our products are all store data in SQL Server.

I need to get that data out in xml (and the SQL Server routines don't handle data with multiple relationships very well (eg two or more child tables to a single parent table). And importing using SQL Server's own methods would be fairly nighmarish.

So, I have settled on creating a routine which would have allowed a vb6 developer to benefit from the wonderful xml handling abilities of c# without extensive retraining in the language. Basically, I have written a set of routines to translate a .Net dataset into an MS Access database and vice versa. It didn't take too long either. (Using DAO in .Net was tricky though).

To cut to the chase: I am having trouble reading from dao's Index.Fields collection. It appears that DAO does something wierd internall to give the impression that its a collection of fields when its really not (if you do . you don't get any intellisense on what the methods and attributes of the collection are and if you access fields by either their ordinal or their name once again no intellisense). This means that whilst I can fiddle the issue when converting a DataSet to Jet (by using DDL SQL), there is no way to read Access index composition using SQL and .Net freaks when I try and access the methods and attributes of the Fields collection because they are not really there.

Any ideas anyone?

I waited someone to answer your question, seems like noone knows. my question is why didn't use ADO instead? I beleive C# would give better support to ADO. DAO is very old system.
    ghozy.

Better yet, ADO.Net.

Quote Originally Posted by DCKunkle
    Better yet, ADO.Net.
    true. though I thought vb6 people might have problem with it.
    ghozy.