Question Unanswered: SQL Recompilations - PerfMon different from Trace

Ok, I'm really stumped on this one and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. I was using PerfMon to monitor SQL Recompilations (SQL Re-Compilations/Sec counter), and found that there were small spikes of about 3 or 4 re-compilations every minute. Probably nothing to lose sleep over, but I thought I would investigate further to see if I could eliminate the cause.

So I ran a profiler trace, which included the SP:Recompile Event, but it came up empty. Kind of odd, so I ran both PerfMon and Profiler concurrently to see if the event would show up in Profiler when the graph spiked in PerfMon. I saw the PerfMon graph spike, but Profiler didn't pick up anything. I double-checked my Profiler settings by running a test script that would cause a recomplile (interleaved DDL and DML statetments) and Profiler correctly picked up the event.

Does anyone have any idea why the two tools would report different results?

Thanks,
    Roby2222

Howdy

in a word - M$

why are you monitoring recompilations? Do you have a heavily used database?

The database isn't under particulary heavy use, but it is our primary DB. I was tuning the database over the past few weeks, and was using PerfMon to monitor the effect of the changes. The recompilations were happening before I began, but I was hoping to minimize them. I realize there will always be a few, and that's ok, but I'm just stumped because I can't seem to find anything with a Profiler trace.

Roby2222

This white paper may become your ultimate reference for this kind of issues.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Thanks for the link. Looks like a good read.

Roby2222