Unanswered: Problem in Installation of DB2 UDB 8.1

Hi,

I have a problem in DB2 UDB 8.1 on Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

DB2 was working fine on the system initially but when the windows 2000 server service pack and security updates were installed, the command center etc could not be started. I noticed the problem due to DB2-DB2 service not getting started. When I tried to start it from services, it has given an error and could not be started
    I uninstalled DB2 and installed again but the installation was not successful.I got an error message in the last stage of installation that the DB2 Instance has found an inconsistent environment.The environment variable DB2INSTANCE in my system environment variables is set to DB2 but in windows registry, I found that under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\DB2\PROFILES path, DB2 entry was not found. I uninstalled DB2 and when I observed in services, DB2-DB2 service was still found. So, I deleted the service manually from the registry and made sure that the service doesn't appear in the services list.When I installed DB2 again, I'm getting the same problem that the DB2 instance has detected an inconsistent environment.When I see in services, all services are appearing in the list except DB2-DB. When I tried to create and instance manually, I'm getting the error that the instance could not be created.

Can someone help me out in this regard?

Thx in advance

Siva

Any Specific Errors.

Hi Siva,

Are u getting any specific error. Try searching for a file call the db2diag.log and if possible post some contents of the same.

Please also check your windows event monitor for any ideas.

let us know..
    HTH

Nitin

Ask the experienced rather than the learned

Hi Nitin,

Thx for ur reply. I'm getting the problem during installation of DB2 software itself. DB2 folder is not getting created in C:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB. So, there is no chance of seeing the db2diag.log(It will be in DB2 folder).
    The error message which I get during the installation is

SQL1390C The environment Variable DB2INSTANCE is not defined or is invalid.

DB29501E DB2 has detected an inconsistent environment. Please investigate the following: "DB2INSTANCE: -2029059916"

I could find the variable DB2INSTANCE to DB2 in my system Environment Variables. Also, I found that DB2 folder is not created under PROFILES folder of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\DB2\PROFILES (in system registry).

Please let me know if you require any further details.

Kindly let me know the solution

Thx

Siva

Clean the DB2 registry variables and try reinstalling DB2 software.

Click --> Start --> Run --> Enter "regedit" and search for DB2 and remove.

Thanks

Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions. The problem was that the DB2 instance was not created properly. I used the following commands to check it out

db2ilist
    db2 attach to db2
    db2 icrtdb2
    path
    set db2
    Db2 list DB2 directory
    Db2 catalog tcpip node db2server
    DB2 catalog tcpip node Db2server remote IPAddress

DB2 writes installation problem in DB2.log at <install_drive>:\DB2LOG directory for window.

The instance creation and update problem check the same directory.
    You can also use the -d option during db2setup and create and update to turn on the debugging.

regards

Mujeeb