Lightbulb Unanswered: Multiple instances of Runtime with different configs

Hi guys and gals

Quick overview:

I have an application running in Paradox 9 runtime, load balanced over 2 citrix servers and it works a treat.

Now I have another application I need to run in Runtime over the same citrix servers. (At the same time as the other app)

So.. I copied the BDE config file, modified it to point to a different place for the netfile but I just can't get the damned thing to work!

For debugging purposes, on one of the server desktops I have 2 shortcuts to Runtime but one of them has "-o t:\config2\config2.cfg" in the command line of the shortcut.

When I run the config I get "BDE filename is invalid. Using default" but the config filename is correct.

Is there something else I should be doing? All file rights are correct, and I've even tried putting the -o command line to the OTHER icon pointing to the OTHER config and that says the same error!

Is there a problem with Paradox Runtime 9 accepting different BDE configs?
    Last edited by majicm; 10-17-04 at 12:09.

Think you have a problem Houston

Because BDE is not application specific, I believe only one configuration can be loaded into memory at a time. Remember it is actually a separate application from paradox and is referred back to when it needs to be accessed. You might be able to change the configuration for BDE on the Fly and then a newly opened runttime might used the changed configuration while the one still open would use the version available when it was started. That is something I have not attempted. But I would pretty much guarrantee that two instances of BDE cannot run simulataneously which is what would be necessary to utilize two different config files at will.

Usually, separate configurations are used in an effort to get different settings for aliases. But you can simply merge the alias-lists of two applications in the same config-file.

You don't need to have "two separate NET FILE DIRs."

I think that you can successfully run the two runtime applications against the same config-file. And that's what I would recommend.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

If multiple users do not have access to the same net directory then you do need two separate net file directories. But the net directory does not need to be in the same directory as the application or data so if there is a common directory that all users can access you should make that the net directory. Sundial is right in his confirmation that you cannot run two separate config files with BDE simultaneously.

I agree, and would add that you should have the two apps simply running on different aliases, bearing in mind that especially the :PRIV: alias should point to a different dir, and that it would be good that the :WORK: one also pointed to a different dir, albeit this is not necessary.
    The only failure is not trying to do it.